Top Exhaust Stud On Cylinder 4, Water Leak!

flameredturbo

I saw today I have water coming from here on my crate blacktop! The original stud is in there and has never had anything else in there. I undid it and ran the engine and there's a flow of coolant, nothing to fast but the engine wasn't up to temp. It's got a crack or some damage in the water jacket I assume?

Ideas?

Edited by flameredturbo

Sounds like the stud hole was drilled too deep and may have cracked at the bottom.

Is the stud too long?

Your could packing the hole with "chemical metal", then replace the stud with a shorter bolt compressing the compound in to the base of the hole.

Leave to set and see if that helps. If the leak isn't too bad as you suggest, it may be a cheaper fix than a new head.

Simon.

• Like 1

The stud is the original ford one so It can't have been to long. I can only assume it has been put in the wrong way at some point when the manifold has been on and off. It's longer at one end.

No way am I buying a new head at this stage, I was thinking plenty of high temp silicone on the bolt and maybe some k-seal? It's not a high pressure leak.

Just fit the stud the correct way round after cleaning the stud and hole and use some sealant. Not an unheard of problem. Casting is thin and too long a stud or bolt just knocks a little lump of alloy out in amongst the innards of the rockerbox. Worth doing a search for the bits with the camcover off and next time you have the sump off.

Nigel

If it's just an oil return, then the bits will be trapped in the sump by the coarse pick up or in the filter itself.

So you should be ok.

Reminds me of the bits I found in the coarse filter when I did the first oil change. :blink: Yet everything still seems oil / water tight :)

Simon.

If it's just an oil return, then the bits will be trapped in the sump by the coarse pick up or in the filter itself.

So you should be ok.

Reminds me of the bits I found in the coarse filter when I did the first oil change. :blink: Yet everything still seems oil / water tight :)

Simon.

Thought so, how can I tell if it's a return or feed though?

Pressure.

If it's a slow leak that you can hold back, it'll be a return. If it leaks no matter what you try to do, it's probably a feed at 5 - 7 bar pressure. It will also leak rather quickly if it's a feed as well.

If you managed to seal it easily, I would think it's the return to sump part.

Simon.