High Revving A Pinto

Guest Tiger78

Guest Tiger78

Last night checking the oil, thought it was slightly low(just hitting low mark) I topped it up to the midway point on the stick.

Today out driving and gaining confidence in the car- the middle of a 2 car overtake then was a ton of smoke along with oil on the windscreen - managed to pull in and turn off the engine whilst slowing down. Looking at the engine, seems to all have came out the filler cap onto the manifold and also out through vents one the bonnet. Oil level looks like minimum lost. Had my brother in the car at the time and he mentioned the revs being very high(top of rev range in sierra consoles). Think I pushed the engine a little too much- anyone thoughts?

It drove home for the final 10 miles without missing a beat once all the oil was burned off.....

It was a new oil filler cap 100 miles ago as the old one looked very slack.

Thanks in advance

You need to look at the current venting of the crankcase and rockerbox. Most vent both to a catchtank. The sierra used a valved breather from the block to the intake. Manifold vacuum was needed to open the valve. Best to delete the valve if not using the original system to the intake.

Next time you meet up with another pinto hood compare dipsticks to make sure yours is the right length and you are not overfilling with oil. (Or maybe someone with a pinto dipstick handy, who sees this post, can post its dimensions.)

Also might be good to fit a rev limiter like the one from Omex.http://omextechnology.co.uk/page135.html

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Guest Ian Maycock

Try changing the oil. Use the required amount 3.5 litres I believe and once the correct amount of oil is in the engine. mark off on the dip stick then you will know the right levels.

You've built up crank case pressure and with nowhere to go its used the rocker cap vents

Pintos breath heavy at the best of times, if engine has done some miles on its life then rings/ bores will be slack exacerbating the problem.

On later blocks there is a blanking plug on the right rear of the block so you can vent or return oil to the right , vent from the original on the left if you remove vacuum operated valve and vent rocker cover

Ideal is to have large hoses to a vented and baffled tank

Guest peter2b2002

when i changed the oil in my pinto (rs2000sump) i forgot how much oil i took and put in 4 ltrs instead of 3.5 ltrs bit smoky on start up

peter2b

Try changing the oil. Use the required amount 3.5 litres I believe and once the correct amount of oil is in the engine. mark off on the dip stick then you will know the right levels.

Iggy, the problem with that is we don't know what sump is fitted, shortened or not, winged or other capacity restore strategy or if an oil cooler is fitted. All these possibilities alter the capacity and we just don't know what it is. It is likely that the standard for sierra pinto 3.75L with new filter or 3.25L without is no longer correct.

Re-marking the standard dipstick is always wrong. Using it as original will always give the one constant you can rely on which is that the top surface of the oil should be at a specific distance below the block so the crank and rods don't hit it. The one thing I haven't come across is a shortened dip stick tube although even that is possible but unlikely.

Nigel

If a few pinto owners can post stock pinto dip stick dimensions and if they are all the same then Tiger 78 will have data that will be helpful in setting the correct oil level in his engine without us knowing what mods his oil system has.

Edited by Longboarder

Guest Ian Maycock

Nigel

It worked for me. I have shortened winged sump, extended dipstick and extended dipstick tube. I don't have any problems with oil pressure at low or high revs. The engine has run sweetly for ages.

Thanks Nigel - I actually don't know anyone else that owners a 2b!! Any other pinto owners near Aberdeen?!! Fancy a meet/run?

I am in Dundee with a pinto 2B but weather is not that conducive to a run out today it ******* raining at the moment and I have not got round to ever fitting wet weather gear 8)

will go into garage and post pic of dipstick against ruler for u

Pm me if u r passing this way

mr D

. The one thing I haven't come across is a shortened dip stick tube although even that is possible but unlikely.

Nigel

OOPS --- CVH engine ( so I'm already out of step ) drained & refilled with correct amount -- then chopped both -- the yellow handle would have been through the bonnet otherwise!!!

Thank you mr D. Any other dipstick measurers?

Advice is still 1. Sort crankcase breathing. 2. Establish correct max oil level height. 3. Don't over-rev it.

Nigel

Bob, I suspect you took pains to make sure the max oil mark was still in the same relative place. I'm not saying you can't mod things so they fit under the bonnet. Just giving a procedure that can be safely applied to almost any engine.

Edited by Longboarder

Guest Tiger78

Thanks guys in advance - started to clean the car first - a little oil goes along way and is all over the car!! Will check the breathers and dipstick length probably tomorrow night as I have to participate in Father's Day!! Just hoping it's no long term damage and I can get back out on the road again soon.

Guest Tiger78

Hi,

I have taken the breather off and given it a clean though. Dipstick is measuring 16" long as per d post- the only problem would be if I have a standard sump- then it is over full . Hopefully the shortened as it measures up to mr d.

Given the car a clean & degrease and will monitor for now. What's the amount of oil I should be putting in with a shortened sump should I decide to drop it?