Speedo Drive Pinion Removal

ivan the terrible

Hi all, can anyone tell me how to remove the speedometer drive pinion from the side of the gearbox, it's all still on the kit so access is very limited,

I've fitted an electronic speedo and I need to fit a pulse generator but my pinion is a bit worn,

speedo cable is out and circlip is removed, do I just prize out the piece holding the pinion in place or does it pull out or unscrew???????

havn't got a new pinion yet, wanted to match it up with the old one

forgot to say that it's a type 9 gearbox

thanks Ivan

I think the pinion comes out the other way Ivan -- i.e take the gear-box apart!!! It's a nylon or plastic cog so got left in place on Florin & a Hall effect sensor was fitted to read the diff bolt heads.

Are you trying to fit that long pulse generator that you have?

I looked at the electronic haynes manual I have and the gearbox bit is not present.

If you need an engine crane, I have one you could borrow.

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Guest Ian & Carole

Yep

The speedo drive if fitted from the other side of the gear box, drift it out and the cover plate will pop out, but and it is a BIG BUT I very much doubt that you will get the cover plate back in again with the box in situ.

Good luck.

Guest peter2b2002

i gave up trying to get the cable out , i fitted a hall sensor the the dif 4 magnets on 1 1/2 shaft 20 mins to fit speedo reads 5 mph over

peter2b