Steering Rack Problem

Guest Ian Maycock

Guest Ian Maycock

This is a problem that has only just started. I will try and explain it as best I can. I have been driving the car for 5 years now and this has not previously been a problem.

When steering the car to the left and I turn the wheel about 45-60 deg the steering feels temporarily heavy then suddenly light again. It's almost as if there is a little resistance to me turning the wheel to a point but then, no resistance. It doesn't do it when turning right!

I have disconnected the track rod ends to make sure it's not a fouling of the wheels. It isn't, the problem still remains.

The rack has not been off the car and I haven't adjusted it in any way.

Is this a problem anyone has encountered? Is there a solution?

Any and all suggestions and recommendations welcome.

Guest Phil_neast

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem in my S7. It is built on Dolomite parts. I eventually traced it to the bottom UV joint where the steering shaft meets the rack. The joint was 'binding' as it turned through the knuckle, so getting tight then slack. I took the joint off and eased it with a dremel, and it works fine now.

may not be the same for you but worth a look.

Kind Regards

Phil.

Guest Tim Norman

I just replaced mine as it was worn and the new one needed some serious work with a power file so it cleared itself. Although why a UJ would start doing it after 5 years is just bizzare!

Guest Ian Maycock

I will remove the steering column tomorrow night to ensure there is no binding on that. If there isn't it can only be the rack.

Does anybody know what rack wad fitted to the 2B sliding pillock?

Guest clive5550

Hi I've still got my metro rack on my car after my conversion which works fine, the metro rack has a smaller diameter tie rods than the ford rack.

Guest Ian Maycock

I think I have sorted it.

I had just started to remove the steering column between the triangular bracket and the rack and I was loosening the bracket it all suddenly shifted, ever so slightly which was odd. I turned the wheel backwards and forwards a few times and the problem seemed to have gone. Reconnected the track rod ends and turned the wheel again, still not binding. Will take the car out tomorrow after work to see if it's ok. Fingers crossed.

I'll let you all know. Thanks for the advise though.

That rang a bell with me....

When I was building my sliding pillar the column was very near the chassis.

The column wasnt dead straight & when it turned, it touched at just one point.

Look for rub marks on both

Guest Ian Maycock

Took the car out tonight. All appears to be ok. It would appear that the problem was not with the rack but with the column.

Thanks for all the advise.