Driving Abroad....

Guest mutleydog123

Guest mutleydog123

Hi, were venturing off across the English Channel to either France or Belgium... any thoughts on scenic routes and does anybody know regulations for driving kit cars abroad? Thought I would ask here first!!!

Thanks in advance

If not in a rush to get from a to b stay off the motorways. Don't forget hi vis vests for all in car and they should be in the car not boot. Triangle and set of bulbs oh and photo Id if not got photo licence

Guest erichetherington

Can't help with route but just make sure you have beam deflectors, spare bulb set, yellow jacket for each person, triangle, extinguisher, breathalyser (maybe law in France - who knows!), all your documents (V5, MOT, insurance certificate etc all have to be with you in France), SATNAV doesn't have Speed Cameras on only "hazard Areas". In France a sign with place name on also indicates urban speed limit. breakdown cover and enjoy. Just remember their alcoho; limit is lower than ours.

Guest mutleydog123

Think its about time i fixed the seat so my Mrs is able to drive the car if the drink limit is lower than here! Thanks for the replies!!

Guest Ian & Carole

Not just in the kit but any time you are abroad, unless you are a frequent traveller, and experienced, a good tip is no matter what manoeuvre you make at junctions always ensure that you, as the driver, end up sat next to the kerb.

That way you will always be on the right.

Guest erichetherington

I haven't driven in Belgium for years so can't comment on there, but in France once away from the main cities and towns driving is a pleasure, really hard to find any traffic.

Its very easy to set off from garages, cafes, shops etc on the WRONG side of the road out of habit

.....or maybe it's just me...

But what I do is tie a small coloured string to the RHS of the steering wheel....instant reminder...

Guest Ian & Carole

Its very easy to set off from garages, cafes, shops etc on the WRONG side of the road out of habit

.....or maybe it's just me...

But what I do is tie a small coloured string to the RHS of the steering wheel....instant reminder...

That reinforces the "always sit on the kerb" thingy one simple rule works every time.

Guest mutleydog123

At the moment we've got a ferry crossing to Dunkirk and torn between France and Belgium.. Belgium seems to be winning at the moment!!... and as for the driving... she has more driving abroad experience abroad so looks like its going to be her job drive and my job to navigate and have a bevvy!! 8P

Guest Ian & Carole

You will love it, they are the best roads with little or no traffic .

I think half the miles on our car have been driven in Europe, fantastic roads and people, love the cars every were you go.

Enjoy the trip.

We wound up drifting along the coast a few years back, & found some great back roads & villages.

Depends how far you want to travel....

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?num=40&newwindow=1&q=france+pas+de+calais+coastline&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=o-2pU4rRIfHY7AaN-4D4Aw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

whenever i've driven in other countries (canada with the correct right hand drive vehicle and France with left hand drive on right hand roads) i've been more than happy to get my passengers to say at every opportunity which side to drive on. So junctions, roundabouts and petrol stations etc.

It's easy to get annoyed when you think someone is back seat driving but i treat them as a co-pilot and welcome any input at any time and remember that it's keeping everyone safe.

Oh in france you are mean to have 2 breathalyzers as if you only have 1 and use it then you don't have 1 in the car! they are <£5 off ebay for 2 when i bought some and take almost no space.

hth