Car Lift Recommendations ?

speedtripledan

Guest Ian & Carole

If you want a lift to work under the car with ease then you need good roof space obviously, the DIY lifts make working on brakes and suspension easier for a round £12- 1500 not sure the cheaper ones would lift the V6 Pug though.

I have a friend who bought a 2 poster and fitted it out side by his work shop.

Nice if you have the space.

I went subterraneal with a 6' deep 20' long pit.

Edited by Ian & Carole

My garage is only 9ft high and its got a 4post lift in it leaving about 4ft under the car

I just use an office chair to move about under the car. Changed G/box Engines Diffs

everything you can think of in that space I've seen a shallow pit under a lift to give a bit

more space you can pick up a lift for £300 to £500

HTH

jon

PS get one where the hydraulic ram does not go through the roof

Guest erichetherington

My pennies won't run to a car lift but has anybody else thought about or even done their own version using farm jacks like these:

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydraulic-jacks/farm-jacks/rj60-farm-jack

I can't see why it wouldn't work with some cross pieces and channel to run the car on. I know it would be a bit of a pain getting it up but I'd only intend to use it for major work underneath the Hood, my tintop doesn't fit into my garage! At £150 for 4 jacks I just keep getting tempted.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

I used those high lifter things in my 4x4 days.

Good for getting out of the *bleep* if ftted with a good foot and used with propper tracks.

BUT

getting under the beast resting on 4 off them................

Well your brass balls beat mine 1000:1

Guest iank

My pennies won't run to a car lift but has anybody else thought about or even done their own version using farm jacks like these:

http://www.sgs-engin.../rj60-farm-jack

I can't see why it wouldn't work with some cross pieces and channel to run the car on. I know it would be a bit of a pain getting it up but I'd only intend to use it for major work underneath the Hood, my tintop doesn't fit into my garage! At £150 for 4 jacks I just keep getting tempted.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Personally I wouldn't.... you would need a lot of bracing to make it stable and you would be limited to how much bracing you could put between the 2 sides ( and still be able to get the car in) to ensure it didn't just collapse sideways .

By the time you've done all that you may as well have paid the extra.

And don't forget you then have 4 independent ratchets, so each time you raise or lower one you are effectively twisting the frame you have just built.

As IanS has said... if you do then may your large cojones remain intact and not get squished by your falling kit

• 2 weeks later...