Diff Filler Plug Stuck

Guest Charles Watson

Guest Charles Watson

Hi all

I'm a newbie & trying to change my diff oil. I have not done this before & as it's summer just want to drain it through the filler rather than cracking open the case.

I can't shift the filler plug at all, I've tried WD40 & heat & brute force.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Charles

Guest mower man

This can be an absolute night mare ,I had to slice the head of the plug off with a junior hack saw and then using a fine centre punch wind [very slowly ] persuade the threaded bit out it, took a while to say the least , there is no reccomendation for oil change only top up . The prob with destroying the filler plug is sourceing a replacement I obtained another diff!! ,if you get it out don't over tighten it or the replacement or you will suffer later . Back in the distant past working at a ford agents when the Seirra came out if the diff wasn't showing signs of a leak they were left severly alone , 1 because nobody had the torx key to fit and 2 if they had you couldnot shift the plug anyway !! best of luck ,bythe way I tried heat , hammer and chisel ,stlllsons , osize allen keys you name it I used it mwer man :acute: :crazy:

Best bet is hammer and chisel.There's enough plug sticking out to use a chisel, give it a few bats from one side then a few from the other, trying to unscrew it anticlockwise. I've had quite a few to get out, but it,s not easy to get at.

HTH jon

PS if you get it out, get someone to weld a big nut onto it so you can get a spanner on next time

Guest Charles Watson

Hi Gents, thanks for the excellent advice. I'm glad I wasn't being just dopey or weak! No wonder my Allen keys wouldn't quite fit, I've only ever seen the tiny torx on '90's PC casings! See how new & innocent I am to this game ?! ;¬)

I like the welding a big nut onto the plug idea, Jon.

However, I'll take the Ford dealers' lead & leave well alone, at least until it gets colder & wetter and I have time to make a mess & get it fixed without loosing driving time!

Thanks, Charles