Gbs Plenham Chamber Cracked Welds?

Guest AndyJW

Guest AndyJW

Hi All

Went to Le Mans this year and the drive down was great. Drive back not so. Broke down just 60 miles out of Le Mans, after an epic cock up from Flux rescue finally got home. Broke down at 9am on Monday, got home 3.30am Tuesday.

Anyway, my car was re-patriated and finally arrived at home Wednesday this week. Had a good look and we found the fault. The plenham chamber has failed. The welds around one of the trumpets have given up and failed. Has anyone else seen this happen or is it a case of unlucky again. ( My first exhaust manifold had a piece missing and a whole on it)

I plan on returning the plenham to GBS tomorrow and hope for a replacement, but what concerns me is the movement in the plate of the chamber around the trumpets. When revving the engine the whole chamber expands and contracts quite a lot.

Has anyone else with the GBS plenham had an issue, or have they modified it in any way to stop this happening. I purchased it a year ago and the car was only on the road in October and covered 1000 miles.

Lets hope I get this sorted tomorrow and can get my car back on the road and enjoy summer.

Guest red-col

hi i had one from gbs richard did say some of the early ones did crack so they started to fit gussets to the trumpets for added strength, hairline cracks will be around the trumpetts to base plate maybe yours has not got strengtheners?

Guest AndyJW

hi i had one from gbs richard did say some of the early ones did crack so they started to fit gussets to the trumpets for added strength, hairline cracks will be around the trumpetts to base plate maybe yours has not got strengtheners?

No, mine has no strengtheners at all. Hope they change it

Yes, yours sounds like the mark 1 version which I had and it cracked around #1 and #4 inlet tubes.

GBS were wonderful in exchanging the manifold for a similar (powder coated) one with bracing free of charge.

Well done GBS.

Thanks,

Simon.

Guest AndyJW

UPDATE.... Popped into factory today and spoke with Richard. Swapped it to a new one without any fuss. Credit to them. As above, well done GBS. Just got to get the car back together and test!