Haynes Roadster Crush Tubes

Guest b3nny

Guest davidimurray

If the thread will not even go in the tube then they are definitely undersized! Normally the threaded part is slightly undersized because of the thread clearance and shank is pretty much spot on.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest b3nny

Sorted now guys, it was 1/2 " I had instead of m12 I got my brother to take a existing bolts to the tool shop and just asked them to match it assuming it was a m12 and the sleeve in the old bushes would of been the same ID as the new ones, anyway all bushes fitted now not to bad of a job did struggle a little to get the rear upper wishbones back in but got there in the end! And I actually have movment in my suspension now, just a matter of find a happy medium between ride comfort and handling now, I'm going to get anothergeo setup as I assume this would now be messed up as it had no movment what so ever before.

All of the old ones I removed had no signs of any grease anywhere and the and the crush tubes on the front where 3mm to small and on the rear the the tubes had been sleeved to accept a m10 so I ended up drilling out all the brackets I could get to (all bar 2) to accept the correct size tube and bolt.

Guest b3nny

just thinking of when i re-built my front end the other day. I took the shocks off so i was able to lift the suspension by hand to ensure it moved smoothly. It should move relatively easily.

That's exactly what I done, and everything moved nice and freely.

Regarding damper adjustment, is it advised that all dampers are set at the same amount of clicks? Or should there be more front than rear or vice verse?

Guest davidimurray

Well done benny- sounds like your making good progress. Generally damper settings will depend on the car, I started with both front and back the same with no issues.

Guest b3nny

Cheers, finally feel like I'm getting somewhere after all the small glitches I've had since owning the car, but in the 5 weeks I've had it I've learnt so much about the car.... With help mostly from this forum.

Even the Mrs said there's a massive different in the ride comfort so I must be done ng something right! Lol

Guest b3nny

To be honest I haven't checked them since I've had her, but looking at them they look a lot harder than that.

I guess they only have to be that low as the car weighs so little?

Guest mower man

I'm also running 16" wheels (not out of choice) would I need to run a little higher as most are running 14/15" from what I have read.

what section tyres on your 16" wheels it makes a lot of difference , 205x50x15 are as big as most go and are very close to orig seirra 185 x14 inch so ride hieght would hardly change be care full on tyresize and wheel dia mowerman

i would doubt they would need to be very high. Obviously you don't want to be too low as you could damage an alloy. I once put 30psi in my 14's and flippin ek it was dangerous. won't make that mistake again.

I run (as others do) around 20psi on 195/50/15's.

If you run too low you'll wear the outside edges of the tyre (and potential rim damage) and too high will wear the centre of the tyre.

Sorry don't have the answer for 16's

Guest davidimurray

20 PSI should be ok regardless of wheel size. The smaller you can go on wheelsize the better. Unfortunately the Haynes design won't let you go below 15" - even the sierra 14" steels won't fit over the rear uprights.

Guest mower man
:acute: As said shouldn't need any more than 20 ,whilst trying to sort my car on 15 's with 205 Igot down as far as 14 but it was very squirmy and again as said 30 plus is dangerous in the extreme mowerman