Replacement Air Filter

kevin the chicken

What non original air filter are people using on their pinto engines? My wifes Spartan needs a new one as the original looks as if it has been dropped on a hot manifold and now the top cover doesn't fit. My wife would like something shiny whereas I would like something easily maintained. Performance is not really an issue as long as it is no worse than the original!

regards

Kevin

assuming its for the 32 26 downdraft or the dgas, i may have something suitable.... how much space have you got kev? whats the distance from the top mounting face on the carb to the bonnet ?

dave

Pictures of carb. As you can see there is not much clearance between the original pan cleaner and the bonnet. When I took it off there was only about 7cm between the top of the carb and the bonnet. Knowing what type of carb it is would help me. Over to you.

Guest robinj66

The carb looks very much like a Weber 38 DGAS (or DGMS if it's a manual choke).

The Weber name should be cast into the top of the carb body just in front of the throats.

There should be an ID tag attached just behind the petrol pipes and "38DGAS" should be stamped into the base of the carb.

Are you after a standard Ford air filter housing (as I have a couple of different ones in the shed) or an aftermarket one?

I don't think it's a 38 DGAS. More like a 32/36 DGAV. Doesn't seem to have the secondary butterfly opened by matching gears on the primary and secondary spindles. Top casting is a bit different too. Water operated choke flaps.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

32/36 as Nigel says. No gears operating the chokes . Most aftermarket should fit. But get a foam one which "breathes" through side walls not the top . As its restricted airflow if close to bonnet

i have something that will suit.....

yours for the price of a pint.....if you come and collect, or pay the postage

home made and from propper shiney stainless, not plated stuff

dave