2B Strengthening

Guest johnyt

Guest johnyt

HI Guys

I am all new to the kit car build

Anyway purchased a 2b that was never finished and stripped down to the monocoque.

Looking at the front end I am thinking of changing the front anti roll bar to Cosworth compression struts by enlarging the front plate to go under the nose cone and rose jointing the front end. Has anyone done this.

Also looking where the diff and rear shocks mount, looks a bit week, has anyone beefed this up.

I was also wondering about putting a small ladder support for the monocoque out of 25mm box section to add some rigidity, again anyone else done this and would it cause any issues with testing?

Many thanks

John

Can you post some pictures of what you have bought. The 2b is not a monocoque but a tubular steel chassis with added panels. Older robinhoods were a genuine welded stainless monocoque with no chassis. There may still be some robinhoods being passed round that were rivetted ally monocoques which did have serious strength problems.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Guest timswait

Your description doesn't sound like a 2B, as Nigel says the 2B is a tube frame, it also doesn't have a front anti roll bar. One the plus side the wibbly wobbly riveted aluminium ones Nigel mentions also don't have a front roll bar, so it doesn't sound like you've got one of those. You've probably got one of the older monocoques such as a Series 3a (following the typically impeccable logic of RH, 3a comes before 2B). And yes, there is lots that various people have done to strengthen these including around the diff area. If you really do have a 2B then they are basically built out of scaffolding tube and don't really need much strengthening, except a bit around where the rear subframe mounts (especially if it's a stainless one as these can fatigue and crack).

Guest johnyt

post-13199-0-87760000-1405250565_thumb.jpgpost-13199-0-28513200-1405250817_thumb.jpgpost-13199-0-47677100-1405250827_thumb.jpg

Hi Fellas

Thanks for the replies

Here are a couple of pics, it looks like I have the 3 or 3a

If that is the case what are the main points of weakness on these cars? and am I in the right ball park making a support frame

thanks again

john