First Drive In Kit

MarkBzero

Hi All,

I finally managed to fit the plates and have a drive on Saturday. Firstly a short 5 mile trip, came back and checked some nuts and wheel bolts, dipped the oil and check coolant. Oil pressure and water temp OK whilst driving, although the car struggled on acceleration especially from stand still, with a little popping back through carbs and occasionally through the exhaust.

Then I took the kids out for another short drive and eventually found a road I could reach 60 mph, legally! After lunch my son and I went for a drive in the Shropshire countryside, excellent fun and enjoyed every minute.

However my question, when do you feel comfortable with a new kit car, for some reason I was expecting to breakdown and got slightly nervous when driving at speed (not new to me I have completed a close protection driving course). I was also paranoid about every sound, almost focusing on the car rather then the road ahead.

However my question, when do you feel comfortable with a new kit car, for some reason I was expecting to breakdown and got slightly nervous when driving at speed

Never. After a year and 2000 miles I still feel like that :)

I'm with the others... But that shows how much you care about your pride & joy! It gets better the longer you drive for.mi started with an hour round trip, now can do 6-without worry!

Worth getting personal breakdown cover, I've worried a lot less since then!

You clean it, oil & water it,check brake fluid & all lights; tyre pressures O.K & all lids & covers, wheel-nuts secure. THEN you enjoy the driving ---- tin-top?? jump in & go with-out checking a thing.

Guest mower man

After 12 years 40ish thousand miles I still contiually scan the instuments , listen [ bit of a prob 60% deaf ] tinker , polish and even sit in it in the garage ,you bought it to enjoy it ,get some miles on it!!!!!! mowerman :crazy:

Guest AndyJW

As said, get some break down cover and enjoy it. I broke down this year in Le Mans of all places. Just part of ownership. I got my car back and fixed fine, but I still listen out for things, but then tell myself to just enjoy. Do the regular checks and get some miles on her!

The question you have to ask yourself is "why would it break down?"

From my experience things have only gone wrong as a direct consequence of something I have done or not done.

i.e.its been the fault of the nut holding the wheel not a mechanical or electrical failure.

So just do the checks, keep it serviced and enjoy. Just have a breakdown card as you would for any other car.

Guest Ian & Carole

Must be me then.

Never felt like that and our first long trip confirmed the reliability.

In 12 years never been recovered and only stopped once at road side.

Failed to start once at home, fuel pump failed.

That will be the kiss of death then.

I shall not comment at this time as 1500 mile road trip to france starts Friday :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: will be taking a small tool kit and a few bits and bobs just incase, as well as full breakdown cover just incase. My theory is whats the differance between 15 x 100 mile trips out and a trip to france. fingers crossed

same as every one I always think if it breaksdown and am way to a show someone from the club will no how to fix it if I don't :)and if its just a pootle around I have breakdown cover just drive and enjoy :)