First Drive In Kit

MarkBzero

Guest Gargoil

Every wheeze, bang, pop. Every vibration, smell, and bounce of the suspension. Every noise, is it too load is it too quiet. Every gauge, switch and control. Everything makes me wonder if on the next journey, am I going to need a layby or hard shoulder. Paranoia rules!

But that is part of the fun and dare I say it,danger? There is one thing for sure, I wont be taking micro naps in Betty, she won't let you.....

Good insurance and breakdown cover helps a lot, as above.

My wife has gone to work in hers today, I am left at home with a sick six year old. She seems to be much more at ease with her car than I was. Probably because she knows I will come and get her if there's a problem and what you don't know about you can't worry about

Guest david_l_perry

When I first got my 2B it broke down more times than I changed my knickers, but each one tended to be some very minor issue that I either managed very quickly to sort out on the roadside or back at home. Dodgy electrics was the main thing and that' got completely addressed over the last two years. As others say, it's actually part of the experience :-) I have since done two 1200+ miles journeys in France / Germany and the car never skipped a beat. RAC / AA cover takes away the real worry...what's the worst that can happen....

The RAC chap who called out to me on the one early occasion the fuel pump lost power (more wiring sorted now) smiled when he got out as he had built a Hood previously. He was a top chap and got me up and running in no time.

The good thing about these cars is that you can actually see the engine under the bonnet, and not just a sheet of plastic that says 'don't touch unless you are a ford mechanic'.

I love the tinkering as much as the driving.

Edited by david_l_perry