Sierra Rear Drive Shaft Drum Type Cv Removal

biksz

I took drive shaft out tnite and cant see ow the cv joint is removed to change the cv boot in the manual it says cut round the cv joint skin but wont that make the cv joint no good? I thinkits the tripod named ones froma 1.8 1984 sierra. thanks in advance

There are boots designed to stretch over the CV can

If you cut the can the joint is dead, don't do it unles you change tripod bearings and have new can with them

They are like rocking horse poo

Guest robinj66

There are boots designed to stretch over the CV can

If you cut the can the joint is dead, don't do it unles you change tripod bearings and have new can with them

They are like rocking horse poo

I've got some of these boot repair kits - they come in two size diameters - 73mm & 77mm

I also think someone is selling them on Ebay

Edited by robinj66

As snapper said, don't cut the can! You can't get the replacement kits any more. If you use the stretch cv boot kit you may need the special cone to expand the boot over the joint to prevent damage to the boot .

cheers guys ordered a stretchy boot and cone and spray lube for cone. next question is does the later cv joint fit which can be separated from the drive shaft if the cv joints now fitted do go petong?

To clarify

Push in shafts match push in diff and drum brakes

Bolt on shafts fit bolt on diff and disc hubs

To make a shaft with bolt on 1 end and push fit the other you need a set of wider Diesel push in shafts wich will take a bolt on CV in place of tripod

A little known fact is that there are 3 shaft diameters

The push in is smaller than the bolt on unless its a diesel variant

There are 2 sizes of bolt on CV 100mm PCD & 108mm PCD usually found on the 7 ½" Cosworth diff