Speeding

Guest tom-zero

Oh a little admin fee potentially coming your friends way too if the hire firm have to process the drivers details with the Police...

I do loads of miles & yet it took me ages to realise you save very little time - minutes typically - even on a very long drive. I used to end up being more stressed too!

Oh a little admin fee potentially coming your friends way too if the hire firm have to process the drivers details with the Police...

I do loads of miles & yet it took me ages to realise you save very little time - minutes typically - even on a very long drive. I used to end up being more stressed too!

Nobody does it to save time, it breaks up the boredom,of travelling at the same speed for long journeys

Guest mower man

Imay get blasted for this but if you set the cruise for above the limit which is 70 not athe hoped for 90+you broke the law and were caught doing so so expect to pay be banned what ever ,you did it knowingly so sorry no sympathy at all from me,don't get me wrong I'm far from perfect but havent been caught of late [37 in a 30 paid and stood the points]so there Ive said it and stand by it , smarten up!!! :acute: mowerman

Speeding ticket seem to be part and parcel of driving these days, especially since cameras came in to force and made the job automated.

I agree with Mick that if you knowingly speed and get caught, you've only got yourself to blame but my issue with cameras is that unlike actually being pulled over in the old days, they don't allow the opportunity for the police to evaluate all the facts and conditions on the day and actually APPLY SOME COMMON SENSE.

Sometimes I think that a firm talking to and being sent on your way might actually give people a bit more respect for the driving rules and the people who (used to) enforce them. Having a ticket drop on your doormat after the event is an annoyance, not a deterent.

• Like 1

Guest mower man

A pull and an on the spot as in france [they carry card machines] is the quick and dirty way as to conditions the limit is set you know what it is if the conditions are not good you should slow down any way , aclear road is not a licence to speed mick

whilst i use cruise control quite a lot. At night on a long journey might not be the best thing to do. If the worst happened and the driver fell asleep there is no chance the car is going to slow. If being driven manually the drivers foot is on the pedal it might just relax enough to slow down and to not kill you (or others) quite so much. Otherwise the car is an unguided missile doing 30mph faster than anyone else doing the speed limit (~45mph faster if you were to hit a lorry doing 56mph) which is going to hurt.

something to consider when your friend is setting the cruise control perhaps.

Guest tom-zero

My friend fully accepts his actions where wrong and will accept the punishment received was just asking to find out what the punishment may be I must say tho at no point did I feel his speed to be dangerous on the type of road, I would be suprised if some of the people on here with this type of car didn't do them speeds on A roads I know I've seen it

Guest el ingles

So now we get the abuse.

Two very silly things here ...

One: what the "friend" did.

Two: the posting of a friend's idiocy for this bunch of hypocritical self-righteous ... er ... jolly fine people to pontificate over.

I wasn't there, so refrain from outright castigation.

Someone doing 37 in a 30 might well be endangering others more than our "friend"; depends on conditions and circumstances; eh?

If we look at just two contrasting cases well covered in the press in recent years, it is difficult to be objective in criticism.

A class 1 police driver tries out a high powered unmarked car on a Cambridgeshire single carriageway road in excess of 130 mph - slapped wrist.

A white van man reverses his vehicle at virtually 0 mph in London, over a kiddie in a push chair - dead child.

Speed kills! Hmmmm!

Excessive speed, not always a factor.

Not condoning, nor excusing law breaking in any form, but neither am I supporting the view that speed is the main enemy of road safety.In my opinion far more dangerous is incompetence, inattention and sheer bad driving.

Don't often stick my head above the parapit these days, so shoot away!

As fore mentioned I believe your "friend" will be treated on the stricter side of the law due to your age. A few years ago my friend not "let's say my friend" but an actual friend got caught doing 96 on a section of the M5 he was 24 and his brother was in the car behind aged 30 doing 98. 2am clear, dry road.

The brother kept his licence due to work and child commitments and paid a fairly large fine.

My friend lost his licence for a while ( can't recall how long but will ask of you'd like ) and had a large fine. Yet his biggest shock was once he'd reapplied for his licence his insurance was a huge stumbling block. Had to sell his car and go back to a 1 litre and still paid over 1k. He couldn't use a company vehicle as their insurance wouldn't cover him.

That tought my group of friends a lesson and certainly changed some of our driving styles. Hopefully your "friend" will have the same effect.

I've always driven like miss daisy. Save it for the track.

Edited by A.B

Speeding, such an emotive subject!

When I didn't pay for my petrol I would suggest that my average speed on my 80 mile commute to work on motorways and dual carriageways was in excess of 60 mph and my top speed was often illegal. I liked driving fast and would often be annoyed when people got in my way. I'd like to think I was observant and drove to the conditions and the cars ability........until I did the IAM course and discovered I had a lot to learn!

What prompted the IAM course (a very nice present from my wife!)? 3 speeding tickets in five years, 2 of which were in quick succession, always less than 10 mph over the limit, 50 mph being the lowest limit, I have NEVER intentionally nor to my knowledge gone over the limit in a 30 or 40 zone.

The course taught me a lot about many factors including other people who are driving lawfully within the limits who have to deal with people who are speeding, observation skills (why didn't I see the copper with the speed camera twice?), road position, correct gears etc.

The result at the end of the course? In normal road conditions with any sort of traffic show the time advantage between speeding and not speeding is negligible (less than 5 minutes advantage for my 1.5 hour journey), far more respect for the correct gear, huge mpg improvement and never going to get a speeding ticket, far more likely to avoid some idiot from involving me in a crash and a happier family who now regard my driving as smooth and safe, no longer uncomfortable and scary.

Going round corners quickly, accelerating to the limit, overtaking quickly is all still allowed and done frequently in my 2B and M3.

What annoys me now (apart from the usual poor drivers who no nothing about lane discipline and indicators) is people speeding, especially on dual carriage ways, who stop you from changing lanes to overtake slower moving traffic or get annoyed with you because you have pulled out and are doing 70 as you overtake a line of lorries! Note, I normally sit at 65 (much more mpg!) and I actually accelerate to 70 while I'm overtaking if there is traffic behind me!

People must realise that they are not the only cars on the road and must think about what their often selfish actions mean for the rest of us.

Edited by Megadodo
  • Like 5