3Rd Time Lucky

Guest Blueosis1

Guest Blueosis1

Hi , my names mark and just joined the club as I,ve bought a 2b project .

It was started first time but not finished and the sold .it was stripped by the last owner and sold again to me in pieces.hopefully this time it will make it to the road ,with a lot of help .post-13232-0-79045300-1407354091_thumb.jpgpost-13232-0-40953700-1407354102_thumb.jpgpost-13232-0-51786800-1407354112_thumb.jpg

Guest Ian & Carole

Welcome to the club, enjoy your build.

Never let it be a chore, if ever it does close the door and walk away, refresh and start again when YOU are ready.

That way the enjoyment stays.

Get to your local meets and beg rides in cars , that is one of the best motivators known to a builder.

Edited by Ian & Carole

Guest Blueosis1

Thanks for the replys ,will be selling my manta now as to make space for the 2b .once that's gone I,ll have soon room .

I know it won't be a quick build ,having to sort parts ,but hope to build it to be more track based for some fast fun

Cheers

Mark

i think you have probably the best base to start. Everything stripped and ready. Would be worst to be a rolling chassis as you'd have to either strip it or trust the person before you did a good job.

There are a few things i'd do differently if i was starting again:-

Weld a bar/angle between the subframe mount on the chassis (on mine i welded it to the subframe)

If you have a mild steel chassis and panels i'd consider welding the floor in.

I'd weld a threaded tube to the chassis at the front for a screw in towing hoop

remove the rubber from the ends of the subframe and weld up a decent end to bolt to.

Its is awesome to build and awesome to drive (even more so knowing you built it) have fun

hth

Guest Blueosis1

Thanks zed ,seats are only the couple of things that are missing so are on the list with some harnesses .

Have been reading others builds so will be putting in some runners and beefing up the harness mounts .

The panels are stainless ,but the idea of welding in the towing eye is one I will be doing

Cheers

Mark

also just thought for the windscreen don't use self tappers as per the video as that is basically lethal. instead tap the frame. I used 6mm button hex bolts.

I also should have welded a flat return on the windscreen support so the screen sits against it so the bolts aren't the only thing stopping it if something hits the screen.

Guest Blueosis1

Hi ,I live in Quinton but have a garage in Solihull .its only a single but do have power .

Just had a clear up as I use it for storage for work so built a little floor to house the junk .just need to sell my manta now to make room for the 2b

post-13232-0-47065300-1407529114_thumb.jpg

Think you will need a hard hat or you are very short.

Looking at that pic.

Get some good lighting makes it nicer to work in.

Good luck enjoy the build

I am still amazed that a car I built can do the things we do, ie drive the best roads in the world and make it home!

Stephen

Guest Blueosis1

Hi Stephen. , yes the roofs a bit low but hopefully once I make the chassis roll I can the push it in and out of the garage into the yard ,

My met has got 5 of these knocked through so can wheel into there to work on

My manta was mot ed this morning with no advisores so now that can be sold I will have room to make a start

Cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...
Guest Blueosis1

my manta was sold and now gone :( but heres to a new project :)

started to dry build the front end

022.jpg

box arrived with new coilovers and brackets for the back end so will sort that with the diff and sierra back end and get it rolling

steering rack next and then on to rebuild the engine

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blueosis1

002.jpg

chassis is now rolling ,got some spacers for thr front machined up and coilovers temporary in at the back

003.jpg

engine just being built up ,new pistons ,rebuilt head with unleaded seats and valves .new spraybar .sump just arrived via ebay .

gear box has had a check over and all seems good ,will fit the quick shift kit before it goes together

007.jpg

008.jpg

will get a coat of paint to tidy it up before fitting