Lost Spark

Guest tiggertom

Guest tiggertom

can anybody suggest a starting point for fault finding a megajolt/eids 4 zetec setup ,on thursday i was driving along at 60 mph and engine died no spluttering or misfire just as if ignition was turned off,so i towed it back and this morning i pulled a plug out and no spark. megajolt an eids both powered up and earthed,can a coil pack fail completely any suggestions welcome

Have you tested the resistance of the primary and secondary coils in the coil pack?

Primary should be very low - usually 1 ohm or less, secondary could be around 10 kilohms or there about.

If you can use the coil manually to generate a spark at the plug without the controller connected, then it is likely to be the driving transistor in the controller that has failed.

As you're in Doncaster, I can pop round and take a look sometime. (Not today or Sunday as I will be busy with an archery tournament)

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

If VR sensor cable has failed it can just stop

EDIS will run limp home mode if Megajolt fails

Coil packs usually only fail one pair so check power feed to EDIS

VR sensor connections

Coil pack centre earth connection

From what I see, coil pack centre connection is +12 Volts, not earth.

In any case, I could not produce a spark from the HT side when energised on a bench off the car. I had a spare coil pack which he is trying out now which I suspect is the case.

Simon.

Guest tiggertom

thank you to Simon B for his help turned out to be a failed soldered joint on centre 12+ wire of 3 pin coil pack input plug :)

Edited by waterboy