Drive Shaft Outer Gaitor Fitment

Guest b3nny

Yes, those are the stretchy boot kits. You will need a suitable cone (well greased) over the inner side and lots of force :)

I reconditioned all my boots before fitting to the kit. You may need to remove the inner boot and redo that at the same time as the fitting might cut through the new boot as you try to fit it over the old inner one.

Simon.

I'm not sure if they had been reconditioned or not, I'm a little worried as it had a geo setup yesterday and I'm not sure if the car was lowered anymore or not I'm hoping the boot hasn't split on a part of the chassis.

I read this was a common problem on the s7 but I'm running a Haynes locost.

I found that the wheel side was much larger (and square) compared to the inner side.

Once you remove the four hub bolts, mine was a push fit into the diff and it is a simple matter of removing the whole drive shaft and then fitting the boots as a pair. Outer boot first (pull on right side out) and the inner boot (inside out, then reversing) to fit them.

Simon.

Great I will have a look, so it's my inner bolt which has split? So once the hub is removed I can't leave it attached to the dif in situ? I wasn't sure if I was going to loose any fluids if removing the whole shaft?

If one has split from age, it's likely the other isn't far behind, so I would do both while it's off the car even if they appear ok.

When I reconditioned the shafts prior to fitting, I replaced all four boots even though none were split as they were all getting aged by now.

Simon.

I'll take a look this evening, I've found the universal ones on eBay but the seller says they are for front only? Is that the case? Would front ones fit the rear?

from your other thread, if your cv joint was producing 'noise smoke and a smell', then it's ruined and requires replacement. To simply replace the boot when the joint is knackered is rather dangerous! You do not want a driveshaft flailing around next to a fuel tank when it fails on the motorway...

I'm not sure if it is knackered I haven't had it out to check, but it was making a slight noise and there was light smoke when I come to a stop, which I assumed might have been the grease on a hot hub?

It was fine in the morning I took it 2 miles up the road for a geo setup then picked it up (he didn't drive it) went for a boat down a long mile stright and around a couple of round abouts then the same again in the afternoon, would it really be dead this quick? A total of approx 10 miles.

I understand your concern amenities wouldn't botch it.

From what I have read the drive shafts are like rocking horse..... Aren't they?