Drive Shaft Outer Gaitor Fitment

Guest b3nny

Guest mower man

Stop a--ing about if you are not confident to take it to peices take the car to someone who is or get a local member to look/ help as Grim say if its that goosed it needs a new one any good motor factor should be able to supply at around £50/60 reconned with new boots at both ends ,1hrs labour ,job done !! mower man

No arsing about mate, haven't had time to get out there and get it apart it's also outside under cover at the moment, obviously if it's goosed I will fit a new one but I don't want to spend 50 odd quid if I can do it for less than a tenner. I also need to find out what ones I have before I order but I think I'm going to have to strip it out to id exactly what ones I have.

Just had a very quick look under the car, I have the bolt on type drive shafts, would there be a 'normal' size used for kit cars? I have a cosworth box if that would make any difference. If it comes to it I will have to strip it out to see what I have but ideally would like to have the parts sat ready to go straight back on

Thanks Simon, but I think as grim advised it sounds like I need a whole new drive shaft, I'm going to attempt to remove it tomorrow and have a measure up, I'm just hoping the diff bolts aren't seized in :(

driveshaft joints are precision bearing components - any significant heating above 200°C will soften the metal and cause premature failure. I think you're long past that, if it was smoking.

They are not dear off ebay: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20bb00e3e3

With bolt on shafts, the lobro (CV) joints come in at 100 or 108mm diameter - check this before buying.

The driveshaft bolts are notoriously sticky, it is easy to shear the torx bits required. Best to use an impact driver, or like i did, cut the heads off with an angle grinder and use pliers to undo the remaining shank. If you do cut them off, replace with M8 grade 12.9 allen head bolts. Can't remember the length off hand, but i think it's something like 80mm.

Removing and refitting the lobro joints on the driveshaft is a 2 minute job with circlip pliers.

Edited by Grim