Blimey My Tin Top Feels Slow Today

keith kelly

After the 500 mile trip this weekend in the kit, I drove the tin top for the first time today and its no slouch (Passat 2.0l tdi 170psi) but it didn't half feel sluggish this morning. make me love my kit even more:-) cant wait to get the Zetec In! :diablo:

Edited by unclechief
  • Like 1

I'm just about to retire, so I have been persuaded to trade my 320 d estate (chipped to approx 200BHP)

which I loved, for a Golf Bluemotion 1.6TDi.

Tax dropped from 175 to 20, insurance got a £60 refund, & I expected to get

a far more economical car.....but.....

The BM did about 40 commuting and 55 on a run.

The trip on the VW showed 36mpg when I collected it, so I cleared it & had a 180 mile run to Brighton & around the south coast.

Trip showed 49 mpg, after a slowish run.

Not sure I did the right thing....

BUT I still have the hood.....& it will seem even quicker when I step from the VW..

Bob (now an official Old Fart)

Edited by Bob Tucker
  • Like 2

you want to try 2000 miles in 2 weeks in the Kit then come come and get in long wheel base transit now that is a big differance and does take a min or two to get used to. Sitting 3 foot from the ground and 0-60 maybe if the week was long enough

• Like 1

If I hop from my daily drive 140 BHP @ 1500 KG (no slouch but....) into the 2B 120 BHP @ 750 Kg and the difference is very noticeable and I think that the kit is great, hop back into the BMW and it does feel slow! The problem for me now (there are worse problems I know but...) is when I hop from the M3 343 BHP @ 1600 KG back into the 2B and it feels slow in comparison! The only choice is more power for the kit I think, good excuse eh? Now, where did I store that VW VR6 engine @ 170 BP in standard trim and 220 with not much effort??

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just about to retire, so I have been persuaded to trade my 320 d estate (chipped to approx 200BHP)

which I loved, for a Golf Bluemotion 1.6TDi.

Tax dropped from 175 to 20, insurance got a £60 refund, & I expected to get

a far more economical car.....but.....

The BM did about 40 commuting and 55 on a run.

The trip on the VW showed 36mpg when I collected it, so I cleared it & had a 180 mile run to Brighton & around the south coast.

Trip showed 49 mpg, after a slowish run.

Not sure I did the right thing....

BUT I still have the hood.....& it will seem even quicker when I step from the VW..

Bob (now an official Old Fart)

Actually they'll have been done at IDIADA in Spain which is where most European OEM's do their fuel consumption homologation. The figures are derived by actual driving but the OEM's use lots of tricks to get the best figures possible.

These include looking at the weather conditions to try and test on days when the wind lightest, testing at night when the air is cooler and denser, optimising tyres to reduce their rolling resistance, adjusting mirror angles to reduce drag etc.

As Andy says, the figures are basically unachieveable but they are useful for comparative purposes if you're comparing a number of vehicles and want to see which is likely to be the most economical.

Edited by richyb66

Guest zerorace

Average on my skoda 140bhp today 71mpg mixed driving but most on the m1 total mileage today 340 the car has done 140,000 at one point had fuel in the tank to do1090miles but left home with full tank and only 600miles the more miles it gets on it the better it gets. Also had the kit on the trailer to blyton park bank holiday Sunday 130ish each way

miles 60mph 38mpg

Edited by zerorace