Storing Kit Outdoors

Guest Dean Morledge

Guest Dean Morledge

Hi all, in a bid to save some money and use the kit more i will be getting rid of the garage that i am renting about 1 mile away from my house where the kit currently is and keeping it on the driveway infront of my house.

there is no option of having a garage at my house so im looking at any advice people can give for storing the car outdoors, especially over the winter. How can i best protect the car from water damage etc?

currently i have a waterproof roof on the car but no doors, which i am hoping to sort sometime soon. And the car is under a waterproof cover as well, do i need to do anything else?

cheers

dean

Guest Ian & Carole

Build an igloo for it in the winter , woops

009.jpg

Could you build a car high, car wide plywood box to roll it in and out of as and when you need it.

I have seen them with a hinged rear panel and hinged lid. Just the size of the car, but water tight. A bit like a large coffin.

A "temporary" structure tends to avoid planning issues, a "lean to" type structure will keep a lot of weather out especially if it has side to it. I've seen some tent/garage structures from Frost and Machine Mart that may also work but that does involve an initial cash outlay.

Guest Dean Morledge

As you can see from the picture the main access to the house, the front door is on the left of the picture and the side access to the house is not wide enough to get the car down to build a lean to building. So building a plywood box would work in that I have the space for it and if its built just high enough to go over the car wouldn't be too high to obstruct seeing the front door from the street, just not sure aesthetically how it will look as it will be in the middle of the garden rather than off to the side or similar.

WP_20140809_004_zpsce9374f0.jpg

WP_20140809_005_zps6295a4c4.jpg

The other option of the tent/garage structure could be a possibility as there is plenty of space for it but as you say does involve the initial cash outlay (last time I looked they weren't too cheap)

hmmmm things to think about

It doesnt have to look like a plywood coffin if you know a competent artist......

https://www.google.c...door%2F;800;532

This is my favourite.....

http://closingtimereviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/ferrari-enthusiast-paints-3d-version-of.html

Edited by Bob Tucker

That looks like one of the best garden ornaments I have seem for a long time.

Should be a gold medal winner at Chelsea show :)

To keep the worst of the weather out and keep the 2B dry you could use a traditional car cover like this:

http://www.argos.co....ber/1459344.htm

It says its not compatible with cars over 20 years old, but I'm guessing they are covering themselves for reaction to older types of paint.

Maybe others have experience of different types of cover.

If you want a more moveable structure you could use scaffolding to make the frame as it would be nice and strong and then just tarp over the top.

Or something i was looking at doing is getting some old fibreglass tent poles and making hoops to go under a tarp or a large car cover so that the material is held away from the car.

I don't know what your car is painted with but i used cellulose paint and i get a very strange reaction between the plastic sheet, water and sunlight. It makes the paint white like blooming and also softens it somehow so the plastic leaves a mark in the paint.

even if that doesn't happen you will find any bits of dust/grit that are under the cover rub the paint as the wind blows.

So for me finding something that doesn't touch is the best option.

hth

another idea just struck me that could work in your garden. Go and buy 4 big poles (something like the 8ft pointed round fence poles) and drive/set them into the ground at each corner a couple of foot away from the car.

Attach a little pulley or rope loop to the top of each post and then string up a tarp so that the edges drop to make the sides. tie the bottom corners to the post bases.

Could add a front and back if necessary. In the summer just remove the tarp and you just have 4 posts which you could put a canvas sunshade on etc if you want it to look nicer.

I'd leave the poles long and put fixings where you need them.

Guest shaggy

Just build a wooden shelter - don't need plans

4 telegraph poles

4by2 frame

corrugated roof

then clad with larch panes

Its classed as a temporary structure so no pans needed

Guest Gargoil

I you are just using a car cover, it might be advisable to put a soft cover between the car and the external waterproof cover. Despite the claim by these manufacturers, this inside of the cover isn't soft and will be abrasive enough to wear paint and chrome over the winter period. A couple of bungie straps across the car will help keep it in place on windy days.

Edited by Gargoil

• 5 years later...
Guest SFX-Joe

Be careful with a pull over cover, these can scratch the paint as per previous comment above. I suggest a cotton throw over the car first to protect it. 

Also - Covers hold moisture and can aid rapid growth of rust when condensation forms. A temp structure is a better idea but short term a pull on will do the job...

I paid out for a decent breathable cover from Rimmer bros. Worth every penny. My old plastic waterproof cover kept in condensation and caused lots of corrosion over the winter. Used the new one last winter and it was dry as a bone. £125 but worth it.

Oops just spotted date of post. An old thread.

Edited by dandan62