Shortened Sump For A Pinto

Guest old_timbo

Guest old_timbo

Before I try to make something decent out of the battered and leaky one I've got at the moment, has anyone got a shortened sump at a price that would convince me not to go any further?

Thanks

Tim

post-1398-0-44156800-1408301724_thumb.jpgpost-1398-0-66567500-1408301725_thumb.jpg

I Have one but like yours I was told it have a small leak on the weld somewhere. I never used it so dont know where or how bad. I'm away for a week but could do photos when i get back if your interested

Steve

Guest old_timbo

Thanks for the offer, but I need a good one - sorting a leaky sump is a PITA. Thought I'd cured the one I have the last time the engine was out, but a couple of heat cycles and it was off again. Now I've got the paint off it I can see the horrible porous welds and the braze that has been plastered over it as an attempted cure.

Sorting it is easy if it really is just porous welds. Clean it thoroughly - looks like you've done that. Fill it past the porous welds with white-spirit (which will take the oil out of the holes). Wash thoroughly with soapy water (which will remove the white spirit residue). Then rinse copiously with clean water to make sure there's no soap left.

Now paint inside with POR15.

It won't leak - be careful not to get the POR in the threads of the sump plug or it'll never come out again.

Iain

Guest old_timbo

Does POR15 stick that well? I must try it on the outside of the sump. I'd worry about oil getting under the bit I didn't quite clean well enough and a flake coming loose if it was on the inside.

• 2 weeks later...

It sticks fine for the conditions inside a sump. On a smooth surface outside it gets a reputation because you can peel it off but you need to do some damage and then physically pick at it to make that happen. So long as it's been clean when you paint it on then there won't be any edge that the oil will creep under and there shouldn't be any physical abuse to it inside the sump to create edges.

Iain