Type 9 Rebuild Started

speedtripledan

Ah fair enough, fair point. I upgrade a 2.0 via BGH's revised front bearing, so no adapter bush needed. I'll chop the videos together and upload them at some point. I found it really just useful as a record of how everything went together; it was a 'comfort blanket' really for when I was re-assembling, but people may find it useful I guess, if they've never seen the inside and are pondering a rebuild...

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
Guest ivan.young@fr.abb.com

Good day Gents,

I was wandering where i could see Bromster video concerning T9 gearboxes ?

I want to replace the main front end roller bearing it seem easy at first sight, but it doesn't move at all 

Thanks for your tips and advices

Ivan

The one inside the input shaft or the one on the end of the layshaft, that sits in the front of the gearbox casing?

Unfortunately I never upload them. I could root around and see if I can find them but I've since moved to a house where the broadband is very *bleep* (1Mbps upload), so it might take some time to get them uploaded (maybe trip to somewhere with a decent wifi hotspot and I'll upload from there).

Edited by brumster

Good day Brumster,

sorry i did not see your answer, it is the one on the input shaft in front of the gearbox (clutch side)

Info from the manual just say to remove the input shaft from the gearbox and then with the use of a press to remove the bearing

but in my case the input shaft does not come loose from the case so i was wondering if there is something to remove as snap ring ?

Thanks

Ivan 

Yes, there's a circlip on the front if I remember rightly <in fact, I just looked in the Haynes, yes there is>. I seem to recall once removed, the bearing comes out pretty easily to be honest, I don't think you'll need a press, maybe at most just a tap from a soft-faced hammer...

I agree there is a circlips on the front which i removed but the bearing is not getting out at all on the bore side it is quite loose on the outside diameter.

i was thinking that maybe they was a circlip in side the box, behind the input shaft

Oh wait a minute... <laughs> are you just trying to pull the input shaft out without taking the rest of the gearbox apart? That's not possible I'm afraid, it'll be meshed in with the layshaft and I suspect you'll most likely will need to drop the layshaft to get the input shaft out. Take the top cover off and you should be able to verify. If you're just after swapping the bearing, and I've not done or tried this, so I'm unsure - but I guess you could try and slide it off the input shaft and out of the casing with the input shaft still in situ, but I bet that's going to be fun to do :). I just can't see you having enough room to get a puller in on the back of it, or tap it out, or anything really :( you'd probably still need most of the selector mechanism out of the way to get at it, wouldn't you?

You might be better/safer just disassembling the selector mechanism and gearbox and doing it with it all out.

For gawds sake just don't lose all the roller pins at the front when you pull out the layshaft :)

Ohhhhh my goodness , so i need to open the gearbox then!! what a disapointmen i was hoping it will be as the American T5 gearboxes where you can remove the timken bearing easily when removing the imput shaft.

Any how thanks for your answer it is well appreciated