Twin 45's Running Rich

lockyer89

Adjusted the timing yesterday and it's running so much smoother, but the distributor is in question, it's the standard bosch pinto unit. £200 doesn't sound too bad, how have you found it?

I'm off to a rolling road on Friday to have the carbs looked at, i'm thinking of getting myself a new dizzy beforehand...don't want to spend a fortune though...

:crazy: Re distrib I have a non vacuuum electronic dizzy and new leads which would suit your app nicely ,simple 2 wire fit , wanting £100 inc post mowerman

What dizzy is it? Will definitely bear this in mind!! I'm looking to keep hold of the bosch to run the engine in, but definitely wouldn't overlook a bargain!

Guest mower man

It's a JPM from ebay used by the essex grass and banger guys ,brand new in box with a new set of leads [ need cutting to length ] new cap and rotor arm cost me more than that but have sold my s7 and am clearing a few bits out to make room for MX-5 bits [new toy ] looks like a bosch new bright and shiney get in touch can take pay pal and will post at £100 mick :crazy:

Not great unfortunately! In fact, the car is still there!!

So we got there at 8:30, ready for a 9am start. First things first was checking jets, chokes etc for the carbs, as guessed majority of these needed changing. Off to EuroCarb we went to pick up the relevant bits. They had a good look over the carbs and were happy with what they saw. Got the car running, adjusted the ignition timing slightly and then onto the rollers.

Remember that problem i was having with the misfiring, popping under load - that came back! Before, to fix that, we over advanced the dizzy by about 30 degree and it ran so much smoother (it shouldn't have, but just liked it) Started to accelerate on the rollers and pop fart bang smoke.

So, we're basically back to square one. We tried a new dizzy, new ignition module (motorcraft) new coil. Nothing. Unfortunately we ran out of time and we weren't home till 7 o'clock.

Just a process of elimination now. The only original wiring on the car is that from the ignition module, so that's the next step getting that changed. New ht leads for peace of mind. Getting an auto electrician to have a sweep over the loom, make sure earths are good, wires are thick enough etc etc.

So not a great weekend! lol So annoying, i'm this close to mot'ing the car - it's just the last push!

We are using a company called CFM Engineering in Reading. Would recommend, there's not much they don't know about the webers. Just a shame it had to end up like this!

symptoms sound similar to graham385's problems recently with valve clearances out of spec (putting shed loads of advance on helps, when it ought not to).

Have you checked them?

Did you fit a new cam? If so did you check for coil binding of the springs on full lift? Did you run the cam in properly? Checking the rocker gaps now would be my start point but also partial strip out the rockers to examine the cam lobe surfaces. They should have some polished contact areas and zero wear.

Nigel