Simplest Way To Get A Zetec Wired

Guest habakuk

Guest habakuk

Hi, this is a first-time posting for me so please be gentle. I have a 2B that had a pinto fitted that wasn't the most reliable or economical,so decided to fit a 1.8 silvertop zetec. That was last August,then just as I started the job an old leg injury from a motorcycle accident from years ago started to get nasty.To get to the point it ended in me having to ship the job out to a garage on the outskirts of Manchester.The chap has done the engine swap but now doesn't have a clue how to get it running in standard trim,with the original ecu etc,so far it has cost me a fortune with labour charges and parts and not being certain if it was all needed.Can anyone help me with info on what is required to just get the engine running,anything would be greatly appreciated so I can just get it back home.Thanks all.

you just need an eddis 4 unit wire that in and that will get the engine running at a fixed 10 degrees you can pick one up off ebay for twenty thirty quid it will run and be driveable with just the eddis but to get the full power out of the engine you will need to add a megajolt that will give you the timing advance if you are running twin forties you will need the map or maf megajolt which will work off the vacuum from inlet manifold

Edited by tractor

Guest habakuk

Thank you all for taking the time to help,I have copied the relevant information so will see what the garage can make of it.Will keep you posted.Thanks.Mike.

Guest alfaGTA

I assume the old pinto was running carbs? and the new zetec is fuel injection?

Has the fuel system been upgraded to high pressure fuel pump and fuel line?

You said last august.... was that august 2013?

Guest habakuk

Yes the pinto was on dcoe 40 s , as regards the fuel pump and lines I don't know as yet what type of pump and fuel lines have been fitted,when I last went to look about ten days ago, there was a new fuel pump installed in the back ,but I couldn't physically get round to have a close look as i was on crutches at the time"left leg below knee amputated last May 28th as a result of my old injury,but I'm sure I can overcome that once I get my prosthetic leg sorted". And yes that was August 20013 when I bought the zetec engine ,it was on a frame/test bed and had only been used by the military for education purposes so had never been fitted in a vehicle,£200,00 complete with all the ancillary bits so not sure what the year is but it is a silver top 1.8 130 hp. All now fitted in my car but the chap who took the job on doesn't seem to be the expert he purported to be when he tendered for the job now that it comes to putting the wiring back to get the engine running,and I don't want to be paying for his education,hence I want it back home once I know that the clutch and everything else around it is ok and the engine wont have to come out again because of some cockup by the garage when they fitted it.All or most of the other stuff I can do at my leisure at home,It was only the heavy stuff that was defeating me at the time.And just to think I bought this to do in my retirement!

Guest alfaGTA

Okay, difficult position! I would firstly ensure there was a spigot bearing fitted to the zetec engine (£6-7) off ebay, if this was not fitted get the car recovered back home by a local firm or any firm for that matter because that is a major issue with the mechanic and means your engine will have to come out!

The issue i see is that wiring the car and getting it running is not mainstream mechanics and a case of plug in and start up driving off into the sunset... It can be done as shown in the links posted above but required meticulous thought-as you say you don't want to be paying to educate the mechanic when you could have an after market engine management installed quicker and potentially cheaper....

I feel you need some pictures of the car as it is now and pop them on here?

Honestly you are in a very difficult position, your best option may be to get the car recovered home.

Failing that these guys will get your zetec singing! (others are available)

http://www.tiger-super-cat.co.uk/csc/ford-conversions/ford-conversions.html

Guest habakuk

Thanks for your suggestions,and the more I think about it I'm sure that recovering my car is the way to go. Also I was looking at the Chester Sports car site last night and they aren't too far from home,wish I had contacted them in the first place.I am going to sort it out in the next week or so and will keep you posted.Mike.

Guest Dave Skirrow

I'm in the process of doing a pinto to zetec conversion. Just to echo what others have said really.

- Spigot bearing is important, but it's the sort of thing that could be easily missed if you aren't aware you need to fit it.

- Simplest way of getting it running is using a megajolt and bike carbs. This, when set up properly, should give you more power then the standard ECU/throttle body and should be a lot easier to wire. On the other hand, if you get it running with the standard stuff it might be more economical and maybe a touch more reliable, also cheaper as you already have the parts