Sebring Project

femster87

Back axle fully assembled now. I have finished the front as well. Just have to mount the brakes to finish off the front.

WP_20150626_20_47_58_Pro_zpssf3yjsn2.jpg

I also finished my heater. I just need to make another duct for it to be completed. I printed the shroud to duct the air to the centre. This has only cost me £30 so far.

WP_20150626_18_12_54_Pro_zpsthh9slzy.jpg

WP_20150626_18_12_49_Pro_zpsq2uikvmr.jpg

Edited by femster
  • Like 1

I know, I wish I'd bought my 3D printer before I bought my heater thing. I'd known all along they were just PC cooling rads with a pressed piece of tin wrapped around them, but had no route at the time to make it quickly and easily for less money. Now, there'd be no reason at all to buy one given how easy it would be to do exactly what you've done - nice one. Love examples of this.

I was chatting at club night the other night, I've been pondering whether I should try a 3D printed airbox for the throttle bodies :) keep the steel backplate but 3D print something to fix onto it that could turn it into a cold air feed... ideas ideas... :)

• Like 1

Will be quite interesting to see the printed manifold. It would have to be PLA. I believe its fine up to 180oC. I have been developing some ideas for a sliding valve throttle control on my k series to avoid splashing out for the jenvies. I think with a bit of thinking and flow modelling you can get the the throttle control acceptable. I will print the first model and see how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not made much progress on the car. I fitted the front brakes and it was touching on full lock.

I mounted the hub on top of the disc before.

WP_20150627_13_45_21_Pro_zpsrbpx4gsq.jpg

I have had to fit the hub through the disk. I turned down the hub and the centre of the disc to make it fit.

WP_20150706_19_31_54_Pro_zpsqn4mxosz.jpg

WP_20150706_19_26_37_Pro_zpso5oezm64.jpg

I have mounted the discs on the upright. I will dropping the car off the build trestle soon. Anyone in the area like to pop in for a few mins and give me a hand to drop

WP_20150627_13_44_58_Pro_zpsl3ulea54.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to see here, But I know that I need to keep the story going. I have been tinkering alot recently, although there is not much to see, the car is progressing slowly. Things like brake cables, making panels for the interior as they need to go an get covered in cow skin.

I have also been drawing up brackets and bits for laser cutting. I drew up my front tow hitch point and printed it on the 3D printer. It fits perfectly. Just waiting for more items to finish now so I can send them off for cutting. There is a minimum charge of £35. So I tend to bundle alot of stuff

I have 2 design for the tow point, I will cut the other bit and sell the rest on ebay. I am trying to get the 3D printer to recoup it purchase cost. Here are the 2 designs. Second one is longer as it has to clear the anti-roll bar.

WP_20150718_18_47_52_Pro_zpsgyjl2ajb.jpg

WP_20150718_18_37_26_Pro_zpsjfjrnstr.jpg

One of the bracket printed to check clearance on mounting holes.

WP_20140522_06_40_33_Pro_zps4xrbn34b.jpg

Whilst I was fitting the engine, the oil filter fouled the side panel in the engine bay. I needed to fit a remote oil filter adaptor. The only one on the market from front line engineering was £120 + vat last time I checked. I have now drawn up the engine adaptor and will have it milled in ally. Just need to find a friendly CNC bloke/lady. Shaft where are you???

WP_20150718_18_37_06_Pro_zps8opkdx1y.jpg

I have been fitting my pedal box and installing rear brake lines. As I have lowered the car, and used slightly wider wheels, I wanted to see if there was any clearance issue so I dropped the car off the stand. I nearly broke my back in the process. Here is a picture of it on the deck

WP_20150717_19_40_24_Pro_zps3ul2fheg.jpg

It looks good but I think the back is a tad higher than the front. I am not sure yet. That is all from me for now. I need to get a life, off to annoy the Mrs and maybe she will take me out for some food and maybe the movies, Hard life trying to be a house husband eh. :rofl:

Edited by femster

• 1 month later...

My updates have been steady, but I can assure you we are making progress. The gaps on the panels are quite good now. I feel like I am bit over the top with basic things which is delaying the project

I have started to wire the car and have run my braided brake lines. The car is going for paint on the 19th of September, So I am up against it at the moment.

I have had all the CAD parts laser cut and waiting on the machining of the aluminium bits. I have had some quotes for the work and I think its too expensive. So I am still hunting around

Here is a picture of the laser cut front brackets for the towing eye. Fit is perfect. I made 2 types and sold the rest on eBay.

WP_20150820_17_22_42_Pro_zpsqvvsyx9s.jpg

Well I finally, enlisted the help of the forums help again and roped Terry in for a quick engine transplant. I nicked the 1.8 engine from my Locost . The locust will be getting the 1.4 engine. Thank you very much Terry for the help.

WP_20150906_11_46_26_Pro_zps98iuustk.jpg

WP_20150906_11_46_37_Pro_zpsed1otzvq.jpg

WP_20150906_11_35_38_Pro_zpss1e3vttr.jpg

Job well done and Terry has a smile on his face

WP_20150906_13_57_23_Pro_zpsmxwmgj5r.jpg

I will be wiring all week, mounting the fuel tank and if possible run the fuel lines. I am off to Goodwood Revival at the weekend so I will miss some time on the car.

If anyone is at Goodwood let me know so I can arrange to come say hello

Edited by femster
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Not much progress recently, I have had the oil adaptor machined and the fit is quite good.

WP_20150919_19_56_31_Pro_zpsgracgr15.jpg

I have also been making frames for the door as I was not happy with the aluminium extrusions available. I think they are quite fragile

WP_20150919_09_57_08_Pro_zps5lzlopq1.jpg

WP_20150919_09_57_00_Pro_zpsfvhjqcyh.jpg

WP_20150924_20_09_40_Pro_zpsbpsovijy.jpg

WP_20150924_20_11_18_Pro_zpszram19np.jpg

Bonnet has gone to be prepared for paint. The car is ready to go as well just have to finish the doors

• Like 1