How Accurate Is Your Torque Wrench?

speedtripledan

My torque wrench has served me well for 20yrs, it was cheap when I bought it so no complaints what so ever but, with the zetec rebuild of wild cams and arp bolts etc I thought time for a new wrench, off I pop to machine mart and buy a digital torque gauge. I then go to aldi for a few bits on the way home and they have torque wrenches for £16 so I buy one of those aswell (rude not to at that price) I get them home and test them, the new ones are identical both clicking off at 40 ft lb the old one clicked at 32 ft lb. Rather glad I bought the new ones as my engine may well have disintegrated if I'd used the old wrench. Garages have there's calibrated so don't blindly trust your old wrench.

Torque wrench calibration is something I've looked into in the past but the price's just seemed too high.

Wouldn't it be good if a well known tool supplier we all use lets call them MM could provide a simple torque tester in their stores for customers to check their wrenches. This would cost MM a bit to start up but MM could charge a small fee and when people find out their wrenches are off then MM would recuperate more of the cost in new torque wrench sales. MM could even offer free torque wrench testing with every purchase, to encourage us to go in an buy something.

Torque wrench calibration is something I've looked into in the past but the price's just seemed too high.

Wouldn't it be good if a well known tool supplier we all use lets call them MM could provide a simple torque tester in their stores for customers to check their wrenches. This would cost MM a bit to start up but MM could charge a small fee and when people find out their wrenches are off then MM would recuperate more of the cost in new torque wrench sales. MM could even offer free torque wrench testing with every purchase, to encourage us to go in an buy something.

assuming the ones they are selling you are anywhere near accurate to start with ;)

Guest TerryBarry

I used to hang a weight on the end of the wrench whilst clamped in a vice.

Until I retired I had the advantage of knowing the weight of any object on scales calibrated every 3 months at my employers expense.

the torque wrench i used to have with a rifle i had, was an allen key with 2 points for a finger along its long length

you nipped the screw up then hung the rifle from the key with your finger in the right loop

it gave you 2 preset torques for the different parts

I have had a norbar one for 35 years, and always release the tension.

Changed employers a couple of years ago and the new employer has alibrated torque tested sp I tested my wrench and found it to approx 3% high at all the settings I tested.

I guess that it was made a bit high to allow for some wear