Robin Hood Lotus 7 Handling

Guest BigAndy

Guest BigAndy

hi everyone ive been told that the problem I have about the handling they said it could be the front camber if so does anyone know what the camber should be set at please many thanks andy

Have you checked that all suspension parts front and rear and all steering components are properly bolted on/up and there is no or acceptably little play in them? If not it should be your first move. The instability you talked of in your first post sounds like a loose component rather than a geometry problem. After you have checked and rectified any mechanical problems you can think about suspension geometry.

Who told you it might be camber? Unless you are a fairly skilled driver I doubt you could tell except on the absolute limit. I once drove 250 miles with 2degrees negative on the front left and four deg positive on the front right after a trackday crash and 'repair' and at motorway and fast A road speeds I didn't notice any difference.

Check the basics first. Nuts and bolts. Then tyre pressures set to 20psi. If you want to check camber then 1degree negative on the front for road use is OK. Toe of parallel to half a degree inward. Castor about 5-7degrees negative.

On the rear toe of perhaps 1degree in and camber 2degrees negative when loaded. But as said unless these are way out you probably wont notice.

Nigel

Guest BigAndy

cheers nigel for all the info you have gave yes every nut and bolts are tight theres no play at all but the camber is at leat 10 degrees i thought that was way to much kind regards andy

The other issue that the RH's suffer if using the sierra rear subframe is that the lower the rideheight is set the more negative camber and toe-in.

I had mine set low and was getting weird squirming on the back when i hit bumps as the wheel would effectively steer the car.

Camber shims on the rear should correct toe-in and camber. Although setting at a higher ride height reduces the effect somewhat.

hth