Jag V6 3.0 Into My 2B

Guest david_l_perry

• 1 month later...
Guest david_l_perry

Progress report.....

took the big angry grinder to the Shaguar over the weekend, removed lots of bits that I probably don't need....probably...and then with the aid of my brother we wrestled out the beast of a V6 engine and gearbox.

Fortunately it was snowing, raining and really really cold all weekend whilst I was lying underneath the car on the driveway. But its ok, Mrs P and the monkeys kept smiling at me through the window with nods and winks.....Pretty sure they were not mocking me.... <_<

And here is the proof :-

7_zps6bebdad9.jpg

6_zpsdd9d8fab.jpg

5_zpsb678bcbf.jpg

2_zps598401e7.jpg

1_zps8d990619.jpg

I'm going to need a bigger hammer.....

4_zpse20bd72c.jpg

Pair of nice shiny exhaust cans.....

exhaust_zps131fd12f.jpg

Also got a few other parts for the conversion that I need from the Mondeo ST220 to go on my engine.

Its the same basic lump, but you replace the Sump and inlet manifold from the mondeo as they allow the engine to fit in the kit....

This weekend will see my cleaning and stripping off the engine parts, and wiring loom and other bits I don't need, such as Air con and powers steering pumps...

Lots and lots of work to do :)

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Oh, I'm note remotely feeling any despair !

on the contrary, I'm really looking forward to getting all the other bits on the go !

Just going through all the bits I will need to keep for the Emerald ECU side of things

This weekend will have me stripping and cleaning the engine....what's not to like about the prospect of getting oily n dirty on an engine :)

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Dead pleased with this weekends work on the kit car engine swap

First thing was to prep the engine for the install trial run

The Jag Stype needs the Sump changing for the Mondeo ST220 sump, along with the driver side Exhaust manifold and cleaned off most of the gunk

12_zps6pe33e4j.jpg

New sump fitted here without the silly front sticky out bit

14_zpsmn4ihkyb.jpg

Only issue I have is that I also need to change or adjust the Oil pickup pipe as its in a different location. you can see the hole in the sumps are totally different.

Hopefully I can find a Mondeo oil pick up on evil bay or a breakers. Failing that its off to local fabricators

13_zpsmabohikg.jpg

Today was the first lift in.....

Going to be a tight fit and had to remove the exhaust manifolds and belt pulley to get it in....

11_zpsp9glmrpi.jpg

And here it is in its full , albeit temporary glory. Seriously chuffed with how easy an operation it was.

9_zpswidxzj51.jpg

8_zps3htfbjos.jpg

And does the bonnet close....yes...yes it does with a little bit of clearance, and the sump does not extend below the frame lower hoop.

10_zpsci45gzlb.jpg

Happy days

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Got the Mondeo oil pick up pipe on its way from the breakers and new smaller Idler pulley.

I already have a compact alternator from the previous engine that I will transfer, just need to change over the belt wheels to match.

Struggling to work out what connections I do and don't need on the air intake manifold, hoping to see Alex's 2B Jag Engine fit again and see exactly what he did to his.

Lots of chin stroking last night in the garage...... :)

Guest david_l_perry

More fun this weekend.....

Got my new welder powered up and after an hours practice, then cracked on and made the new frame from my firewall / brake pedal box support. Dead chuffed

IMG_3595_zpsesmjogny.jpg

IMG_3596_zpsfevohk9s.jpg

Then got the new brake box assembly mounted after several dry runs.

IMG_3602_zpskxpvvxdy.jpg

Also re-fitted the engine back in place, but this time with the gearbox attached so I could final position the engine mounts and try and work out what I am going to do with the gearbox mount

Another small job was to adjust the bracket for one of the idler pulleys to allow the steering shaft to pass through.

Another great weekend, with loads done and lots more worked out.

Guest david_l_perry

More fun making stuff this weekend.....

More adventures with welding, and this almost looks like a real weld - Its a new bracket for my steering shaft bearing

19_zpssaoejaz6.jpg

Had to re do the steering shaft bearing and joints as the new Engine fouled the original shaft location, just another minor modification to add to the long list....

Any how, couple of hours work and it was all done...

20_zpsiqupormu.jpg

Next job was to remove this moulding sticking up to the front corner of the sump...it got in the way of the lower engine protective hoop and stopped me getting the engine centred....

Its just a solid bit of the casting, nothing in it, no hole, no nothing, no idea what it would have been originally for....so out with the angry grinder.

15_zpsfy7s6e2x.jpg

It was a solid mass of the casting, no idea at all what it would have been for, but its doing bugger all now and gave me the clearance I needed to sit the engine in place correctly.

This is the casting with the knob removed

16_zpsvoscpaqt.jpg

The new rubber engine mounts just about sit in place on the original chassis plates, but I am not happy with them being just on.....The original mount plates are at an angle and again, don't really suit the new V6 mounts.

I am going to replace the original chassis plate mounts with new ones

17_zpsdz6efbht.jpg

18_zpsjpqsirc9.jpg

Last bit of work for the weekend was to remove the Exhaust manifold and grind off some of the original bolt locations for the heat shields that I wont be using and grind off the cast moulding lines...I plan on getting them polished and ceramic coated.

22_zpsuczw7m07.jpg

Actually, I then went back in the garage last night and removed the whole engine and gearbox assembly again so I could sort out the mounts for the Alternator and belt routing.

I'm getting good at removing the engine.....

...forgot this other bit of work I did..

The Original Jag gear selector support needs shortening to suit the new gear stick location on the kit car, so measured and cut the unit and need to get it dropped off at a welders that can deal with Aluminium - that's a step beyond me at this time !

21_zpsc02qdavz.jpg

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest 2b cruising

Looks good to me. It might be worth sleeving the gear change, just to give it a little extra strength.

All brill work though. Whole job won't take you long at this rate.