Jag V6 3.0 Into My 2B

Guest david_l_perry

Guest chris brown

Agree with CMA and Mitch even if the mount is strong enough I think it would be good engineering practice to put a gusset plate in. I am enjoying watching your progress Dave and look forward to seeing it on the road.

Guest david_l_perry

Very pleased - The new Shiny Shiny Triple core alloy radiator arrived today. I went for the same one as Steve In Stockport used on his 2B.

With putting a slight tilt back on the rad I managed to get it located with the btm outlet pipe just passing over the main front btm cross bar.

Its close fit but the hood closes and does not hit the rad top.

Will be going for a front mounted fan as I previously had

Got to sort out the plumbing side of things next.....

41_zps1dshanru.jpg

43_zpssxddgmbn.jpg

Here is shot showing the btm outlet and temporary pipe attached - just misses the btm cross member. Got to add a couple of rubber grommets for the rad to sit in, but its pretty much there..

42_zpstrczzien.jpg

Guest 2b cruising

Looking good. Probably slightly better than Steves by keeping original ground clearance and no bodywork changing.

The hump on Steves don't look out of place though. Also gives it a slight aggressive look.

Guest david_l_perry

Been working on sorting out the Exhaust setup this week

As its now a V6, we have an exhaust each side of the car so I needed a new hole to help pass the gasses out...

44_zps8sib0tjp.jpg

Made some new exhaust mounts that the cans sit in and and are secured using heay duty stainless straps, they need cleaning and painting yet obviously.

49_zps3jkt3box.jpg

2 per side sat on brackets bolted through the underside of the car

47_zpsn0isozgx.jpg

All looking good and nearly ready for me to measure up for the shiny pipes.

46_zpsetx8je3d.jpg

Also picked up the new custom Drive shaft made by North West Propshafts

Fantastic service. Dropped off the details of what I wanted and it was made for the next day. Jag fitment one end, Ford at the other and Adjustable centre shaft.

50_zpsvxlvkkup.jpg

52_zps7v3lg6t1.jpg

Guest david_l_perry

Yep, that's how the original exhaust was fixed. I have seen both ways done on various kits. These bobbins do allow a fair amount of lateral movement

I can always remove or even re-locate them if needed, and I may even use a flexible connection between the can and exhaust pipe - as with all these things, its a work in progress :)

Guest david_l_perry

Cheers Iggy Work does tend to get in the way :-). Its suprising how much you can get done in a couple of hours in an evening.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest david_l_perry

Slowly moving things on with my toy car

Most of the stuff is hidden away

Got the gear shaft supports mounted and its located my shiny shaft perfectly. I just need to make it shorter and then I can push on my polished shiny knob.....Sigh...even I am getting bored of the innuendo....but in the sport of all that is RHocar, I shall endeavour to carry on

Also added some additional stiffening panels to the foot wells with some more 5 bar aluminium plate...

55_zpsw4sahncw.jpg

Here is the underside clamp for the gear selector support bush - rubber mount bolted through the frame

57_zpslmtfivag.jpg

One thing I had not banked on was having to cut away most of the underside of the transmission tunnel. I had to do this as the new props shaft can no longer be pushed in as it now has a flange plate at each end. The original shaft had a splined shaft and could fit into my smaller hole....

So out comes the angry grinder again and I had to cut away the panel underneath the tunnel. Its non structural, but I am reinforcing it with some new Angle plate

56_zpszpxcq5ot.jpg

59_zps0mjkumrt.jpg

I have also got pretty much all of the heating pipework sorted out now.

Ran out of angry grinder cutting discs today so stopped progress, but will be restocking with stuff tomorrow.....

Just about to order the parts for the ECU, fuel pump regulator and other bits that should make the engine spark up.....

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coolbawnviper

Hi, I have just joined RHOCAR and realise that you have done what I am doing. My car is a wide bodied haynes roadster. I am using the jag box with higher ratio diff . My main problems lie with:

1 Re routing the drive belt without the ac and power steering. I wonder how you solved this. Did you keep the tensioner?

2 The exhaust system .Particularly the drivers side. Probably will have to manufacture one?

3 Whether to retain the inlet manifold or go for another. Have you used the Mondeo inlet manifold and throttle body

4 I will try to use the jag ecu. Did you try this? If it doesnt work go for the emerald ecu. Did this work ok for you.

I live in Lancaster and it would be great to see your car if possible. You seem to have made a great job!. You can email me on jimwalker@btinternet.com if thats easier.

Guest 2b cruising

Hi David.

With regards to your trans tunnel.

Would it be possible to get the shaft in by splitting it at the splines. Fit the male spline to the box then slide the female nice and slowly onto the well lubed male.

Guest david_l_perry

HI Jim

Feel free to call and take a look, I am only half an hour away from Lancaster in Chorley

Fortunately I could see what some others had done with the same engine conversion before so I had a big head start on what was required in the Robin Hood 2B

1 Re routing the drive belt without the ac and power steering. I wonder how you solved this. Did you keep the tensioner?

I Replaced the tensioner with a smaller one and relocated the alternator and replaced the belt. Its a tight fit but works

2 The exhaust system .Particularly the drivers side. Probably will have to manufacture one?

Just doing that tonight as it happens - Used the Mondeo ST220 manifold, but standard Stype on the passenger side

3 Whether to retain the inlet manifold or go for another. Have you used the Mondeo inlet manifold and throttle body

I have used the Mondeo upper air inlet and throttle body assembly

4 I will try to use the jag ecu. Did you try this? If it doesnt work go for the emerald ecu. Did this work ok for you.

Apparently its more trouble than its worth to try and re-use the jag ECU - I am going to be ordering the Emerald in the next week or so

I live in Lancaster and it would be great to see your car if possible. You seem to have made a great job!. You can email me on jimwalker@btinternet.com if thats easier.

Engine is likely to be coming out next week for its final time for full service, clutch etc

Dave

Guest david_l_perry

Hi David.

With regards to your trans tunnel.

Would it be possible to get the shaft in by splitting it at the splines. Fit the male spline to the box then slide the female nice and slowly onto the well lubed male.

All sorted - no problem once I removed the lower panel. The whole thing slides in nicely now