Iva Fog Light Circuit Testing

sj-bradley

I've just been testing out my IVA compliant Fog light circuitry.

It's a bit more complex than I would have liked, but I have built in short circuit protection and it doesn't use any external relays so is all solid state switching.

Can be seen working here

Just need to build onto protoboard next and then final PCB manufacture.

(Anyone got any job vacancies?)

Simon.

• Like 1

It's not just to save a relay, but in case the IVA specifications make the switching and staying off with the dip

beam mandatory.

Also, it's a nice mental exercise and doubles up as a project work piece.

This will be version 1 as I have an idea I can simplify things up a bit with a PIC microcontroller instead of

dedicated logic chips.

Next step is to solder up a more permanent perf board prototype before finally committing to PCB

manufacture.

I may be able to sell a few of these for less than the ones I have seen for sale already.

The ones I have seen for sale don't have short circuit protection as part of the design and require

a momentary action fog light switch whereas my design will use the already existing latching

switches.

... Watch this space ...

Simon.

Very impressive, reminds me of a chap who came to the Northants meeting with a beautiful AC Ace replica, he had the horn and indicators in the centre of the steering wheel but didn't like having wires inside the column so he made it a wireless system including the indicator warning lights on the dash!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I now have the final boards (just some parts still to be delivered) for the Fog light controller.

I am awaiting the screw terminal connectors and plastic box to arrive

I have built up one board for testing on the bench and then will box it up and install on my car for final testing. I still need to create the user manual and possible kit build manual.

After that, I will be offering these for sale at £15 plus postage and packing.

Or if you are skilled with a soldering iron and fancy building it yourself, I will sell these for £12.50

These are RHOCaR member prices, if not a full member, please add £2.50 to the above prices.

There are only a limited number available, so strictly first come, first served.

If there is sufficient demand I may run a second batch.

post-4714-0-76067200-1424870799_thumb.jpg post-4714-0-90061000-1424870812_thumb.jpg post-4714-0-91704200-1424870837_thumb.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

(Sorry, forgot to add P&P price ! £3.00 Royal Mail)

Thanks,

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

• 10 months later...

From an idea to experimental working -- this can be done with one 4 pin relay (N/O) a momentary change-over switch & a ballast lamp, all goodies which are probably in your donor scrap box except the C/O spring loaded toggle switch -- these are around a pound or two.

Good idea, but that ballast lamp could fail leaving you scratching your head as to why it's no longer working.

Anyway, I'm still pleased that there is some interest in my college project ... :)

P.s I still have some for sale at a good price. :)

If I get people interested in buying my products, then I am more inclined to make other useful ideas, such as

Automatic headlights for driving in the dark ...

fuel gauge adapter for matching any sender to any gauge - WITH the low fuel warning light thrown in and not as an added extra ...

KITT car voice activated accessories (Ok, my mind is wandering now ... :)

Simon.