New Builder Help

Guest mossystone

Guest mossystone

Hello, I have taken on a part built kit which from reading posts and looking at the poictures I think is a 2B super spec with a rover dohc engine. I have no instructions and can already see several issues with what has already been done.

This post (if it works) might find a builder/owner who can help answer my questions OR even better someone who has a similar car somewhere near Bedford who would let me come and have a look.

Can any one help please?

If it is a Superspec I have identified 35 owners who are current on this forum so you will have plenty of help. The Superspec has it's own special problems and we can discuss them. As a start you might want to read my blog (in the signature line) that details everything I have done with my Superspec over the last 15 months.

Also I will be happy to come and take a look and bring mine so you can compare, as I am only about an hour north of you, but I can't do it till January as I am out of the country for Xmas.

Feel free to PM me with any detailed questions.

Al

Hi & welcome,

As Al Richey says, the Superspec has it's own particular problems which are well documented on here, do search and you're sure to come across the posts.

There will always be someone who has had the same problem, and even if you have a new problem there is plenty of experience on the forum to give guidance/suggestions.

Don't be afraid to ask, as is always stated on here, the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.

Cheers

Al

The way i built my car was to watch the build videos a couple of times (they are pretty hilarious) then pretty much forget everything I saw and did it how i wanted (better?).

A lot of things are common sense, so if you are running wires or cables etc look at a modern car and use similar fixings.

Most things can be made to fit better so don't be afraid to change a panel for a home made one that fits better etc

Personally even though it seems a lot of work i would strip the kit right back to chassis and build it from scratch. You know then that everything is put together as it should be. You can inspect all the parts and be sure you are happy with them. at the end of the day you will be driving it so you have to be 100% sure everything is as it should be.

this forum is extremely helpful and full of ideas so the only stupid question is the one not asked.

good luck

Guest mossystone

Thanks to all of the useful and supportive responses. Especially Alan Richey's generous offer of help. I have sent a pm to you Alan ( I hope it works as I'm new to forums)

Agent-zed's advice is in line with my thinking but I want to be better informed re the build issues before a complete rebuild especially as the only space I have at the moment is in the open under a carport.

One of the puzzles with the existing half/build is that the brake servo/master cyl assembly do not allow the scuttle to be fitted. It looks as though a remote reservoir might be needed. Can someone give me guidance on this as a starting point.

Thanks again, Alan D.

Guest mossystone

Yes I got it. Did you get my 2 replies ?

Sorry Alan not received any mails. Do I have to find them on the forum site or should they come to my normal in box?

OR Do I have to be a full member to PM?

Guest mossystone

Alan,Welcome

try & post some pics to give us an idea whats been done so far.

Will take some pics next time I get the covers off, Won't be til next week-- working through till tuesday.

I put in a remote brake reservoir and my IVA tester (Southampton) didn't like it (had to prove that he piping was brake fluid compatible and other things - I used copper plumbing with bleed valves!).

So I just shoved the reservoir on the master cylinder and cut a big hole in the scuttle and shielded with stainless to keep it in the engine bay.

Would take photos, but I'm away from home for two weeks.

Ask us all as many questions as you like, it's only the silly ones you wont get (sensible) answers to.

-steve

Guest mossystone

Yes I got it. Did you get my 2 replies ?

Just had a thought. I didn't receive the authorizing mail when I signed up. Could be I made a mistake when typing it in. I can't see how to check it on the forum but it should be; a.e.dennison@ntlworld.com

Another Alan with a Superspec - superb!

Anyway, you are right with the servo, a remote reservoir is needed. I had some inserts made to fit the inlets for the servo, see top picture.

The reservoir is fitted into a bracket adjacent to the servo, see bottom pic.

You will see behind the remote reservoir a large flat silver panel. This is a dummy firewall (on mine i've used 1mm galvanised sheet but others have used stainless or ally) that everything that would be normally fitted to the scuttle firewall is fixed to the dummy.

The dummy firewall is secured to the chassis cross bar and pedal box and fits inside the profile of the scuttle.

During your build, the scuttle will be on and off so many times, the dummy firewall is a Godsend. The dummy can then be secured to the scuttle to stop rattles!

Hope these couple of pics help.

Al

Reservoir.doc

Sorry Alan not received any mails. Do I have to find them on the forum site or should they come to my normal in box?

OR Do I have to be a full member to PM?

I've no idea, I am not an expert on how this site works. Normally I get a notification flag at the top of the screen and a separate e-mail telling me someone has sent me a PM. I'll e-mail you directly.

Anyone else know what the problem might be ?

Guest mossystone

Another Alan with a Superspec - superb!

Anyway, you are right with the servo, a remote reservoir is needed. I had some inserts made to fit the inlets for the servo, see top picture.

The reservoir is fitted into a bracket adjacent to the servo, see bottom pic.

You will see behind the remote reservoir a large flat silver panel. This is a dummy firewall (on mine i've used 1mm galvanised sheet but others have used stainless or ally) that everything that would be normally fitted to the scuttle firewall is fixed to the dummy.

The dummy firewall is secured to the chassis cross bar and pedal box and fits inside the profile of the scuttle.

During your build, the scuttle will be on and off so many times, the dummy firewall is a Godsend. The dummy can then be secured to the scuttle to stop rattles!

Hope these couple of pics help.

Al

Reservoir.doc

Thanks for that, It now starts to make sense.