Carbon Fibre Look Alike

Guest Roy P

Does anyone have any information on carbon effect covering that would be suitable for the bulkhead etc under the bonnet, just a silly thought at present, any comments would be appreciated

Tanks

Guest mower man

I used carbon look plastic sheet 2mm lasted very well ,did dash and stonechip plates on rear wings too ,it was not textured so was wipe clean , but was a bit shiny on dash ,google Universal plastics [ I think? ] mower man psDirect plastics not universal sorry

Edited by mower man

I always think most kinds of supposedly 'carbon effect' type of wrap just looks really cheesy and nothing like genuine CF tbh.

Research suggests that if you're going to do it then 3M stuff is the way to go though (price is usually a good indicator of quality/ease of application and longevity). It does look a bit like the genuine cloth - but you would have to lacquer it to make it look anything like genuine CF.

Also from research, even the reasonable quality stuff 'creeps' back from the edges over time.

Real carbon fibre laid up on a properly finished mould will have the 'feel' of a piece of glass. If any carbon feels rough, it'll have poor resin content and be weak.

Dry fibres cause this and are a big no no!

Edited by Shaft
  • Like 1

Real carbon fibre laid up on a properly finished mould will have the 'feel' of a piece of glass. If any carbon feels rough, it'll have poor resin content and be weak.

Dry fibres cause this and are a big no no!

didn't think it would be long before we saw a comment......making carbon bits for F1 cars has turned you into a carbon-fibre snob!!.......just don't get him started on fibreglass-backed carbon fibre bits that are being sold everywhere! pmsl ;)

Edited by steamer

Hi Everyone,

We are pleased to announce that a new Carbon Fibre range was added to www.kitspares.co.uk earlier this week! Take a look http://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=43_1_50&car=43

It is 100% Carbon Fibre, and available as individual items or a set.

Please contact Kit Spares if you would like any more details.

Guest donaldthomps

the samples for gbs i saw earlier this year were out of this world!

I have a set of the Carbon Fibre Arches on mine from GBS - the are great quality and look really nice.