Carbon Fibre Look Alike

Guest Roy P

Guest donaldthomps

Thank you all for your comments regarding carbon fibre, but I did not start this link for people to criticise others, be they individuals or companies

Well said for pointing this out, it's quite hard for some people to keep on topic.

Keeping on topic, I did go for vinyl wrap on my 2B.

Didn't use 3m as too pricey but now regret it, looked easy on You Tube.

The final finish looks good the red snout on the nose cone is because we couldn't get the vinyl to wrap around the nose, the more you played with it the worse It got.

So we cut the vinyl back to reveal the red underneath, think it actually looks better

Pleased with the final finish though

John

post-2376-0-09182200-1417211211_thumb.jpg

post-2376-0-41500200-1417211405_thumb.jpg

Guest donaldthomps

Thank you all for your comments regarding carbon fibre, but I did not start this link for people to criticise others, be they individuals or companies

When I joined this club I found it to be a hugely helpful resource, but sadly as with any public forum there is real negative streak running through it. I can't speak for the individuals who indulge in negativity and criticism for what ever reason or individual agenda, but the irony of what's said against individuals / businesses / products affects one organisation - RHOCAR. When prospective club members see this, it does one thing and that is turns people away. It's a real shame Roy P has hit the nail on the head in one sentence.

Guest donaldthomps

Any group or club that only has rose coloured specs is also a negative influence -- factual comments must prevail -- tell it like it is warts & all -- but with-out embellishment to enhance a given view.

Florin, in principle I would agree with you - the problem is having seen the various in-house spats that have occurred over personality clashes, general 'bitching' that has seen posts removed and members blocked and other really non important issues that people seem to delight in focusing on I would disagree. I'm all in for meaningful discussion, but its missing here, my point here is 'perception' - to someone out outside of RHOCAR what does this look like. We can carry on this thread and it will solely reinforce what I have said. Negative marketing does not work, it reflects on the individuals who made the comments and the club overall.

Real carbon fibre laid up on a properly finished mould will have the 'feel' of a piece of glass. If any carbon feels rough, it'll have poor resin content and be weak.

Dry fibres cause this and are a big no no!

What do you know about it anyway. :p

( ps Still love the Grill :D )

I did have a very interesting meet recently with Warren at Carbon Copies. Do you know him? If not, I'll put you two in touch,

I had a GBS GRP dash in my Zero which I covered with 3M (well I think it was 3M) carbon film. On the flat surfaces the finish was good and it looked OK. The complex curves of the dash were harder to finish in a nice way. A lot of heat was applied and at first it was OK, but over time it started to look messy.

I ended up re-doing my dash with a proper CF dash blank designed for a wide bodied Westfield from www.Aerodynamix.co.uk and I am happy with the result. You can see the results here New Dashboard. It is just another option.

• Like 1

Guest mower man

As in many things the replica is never quite as good as the realthing ,the stuff I used for parts of my s7 was purchased under restraint of cost at the time,it served well ,did its job but never [ihope] fooled any one,the purity aspect never came into it .There are a few on here who are allto ready to gripe but un fortunatley far fewer to praise an effort to improve things in budget mick

Nice dash David, how did you secure it to the scuttle?

Al, thank you, I used the same mounting points used by the GRP dash, it is like an inner lip, that is the only way I can describe it.

Edited by David S

info@aerodynamix contact Julian on this email carbon fibre dash £115.00 plus £15.00 postage Dave S has one fitted and it looks great on my wish list for Christmas you never know! If santa don't deliver one then I'll get one in January.

• Like 1

Throwing another one out there after seeing some car trims finished off today when taking some parts for powder coating. Saw 3D carbon effect hydro printing.... Was really impressed with the finish. Closest I've seen to the real thing and not expensive..... Check out Carink in Sheffield.....