Its Possessed!

Guest Tim Norman

Guest mower man

Hi Tim if it was running on it's own oil it would smoke like b-gg--y ,only seen it on diesels ,would think you have a rogue ign feed poss alternator or fan as said but I 'm no star on lectrics mick :crazy:

Guest Tim Norman

Sorted.

I had extended the cable to the coil using the original white wire, but this was picking up a permanent live feed from somewhere, So it now comes from the new fuse box. Bliss I can turn the engine using the key. Now I just need to get the tick over down from 2000rpm!

Does sound sweet though even though it only has a temporary silencer on it.

Cheers for the pointers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i had the same problem last week, read a few posts about the fan powering it. I disconnected the fan still wouldn't stop then took out all fuses and relays, it would only cut-out when i disconnected the live to the coil. I traced the wiring and found a cut in the wiring loom where it entered the scuttle. Inside i found the alternater lives insulation was snaged and the live to coil was touching it to complete the circuit i crimped all wires back together and sorted. Hope that helps.

Guest 2b cruising

If your cam is a special one, you will have a poor tickover and will only run smoothly as your revs get higher. The more severe the cam, the rougher the engine runs at low speeds. Even automatic ignition timing can't sometimes smooth things out. If you have a pinto, just give your tappet gaps a quick check.

Hence along came the vvt.

Guest Tim Norman

Turns out it isn't running at 2000rpm the rev counter is lying. When I put the timing light on it 1000rpm is the real engine speed. I now need to take the dash out again to make sure I have the dip switches right!