Finger Vs Router

agent_zed

router won!

ouch!

was setting up the router bench to do a couple of biscuit joints for a picture frame my sister wanted me to make her for christmas. Was rushing a bit and had flu over the wknd so wasn't thinking clearly.

used a small block of wood to test the cut height, adjusted cut again. adjusted cut ... caught the edge of the block and it pulled my hand round and caught the end of my middle finger :(

luckily only took a cm round of skin off. could have been much worse. Got it patched up at the local AE just to be sure. impressive looking bandage for a minor wound.

Lessons learnt :-

don't use short bits of wood with an open cutter.

Use a stop to stop the wood moving along the bench

don't rush when using power tools.

If anyone is doing any DIY this christmas please be safe and walk away as soon as you get tired or lose concentration.

have a great christmas

Guest TerryBarry

A friend of mine was a good right handed archer - until an accident with a circular saw.

Fortunately he became a good left handed archer>

But he couldn't do the proper archer's V sign.

Another DIY victim.

The angry grinder leaves bigger scars.

My absolute best though is a burn.

I have a wood-burner in the garage to keep me nice and toasty when it's snowing outside - not I didn't burn myself on it.

I was given a load of scrap wood when a mate replaced the frame for his garage door - it had all sorts of nails and screws in it so I was cutting it into small enough bits to go in the burner with a hacksaw as that just keeps going when you find a screw (and you just sweep the bits out of the bottom of the burner with the ash). So I was cutting through a 4"x4" section and the hacksaw won't go all the way through but it's only pine so you cut as far as the hacksaw frame allows and then thump it to break the last little bit off. All was going well but I had a bit in the vice that needed two cuts and rather than putting the saw down I laid it across the top of the piece of wood and put my left hand across the wood and the frame of the saw so it didn't fall down when I hit the bit I'd mostly cut through. What actually happened was that the saw jumped and pivoted about the frame leaving the blade across my wrist. It was only there for a fraction of a second but nearly two years on you can still see the mark. On the first day before it turned into a gooey mess you could actually see the outline of the teeth of the blade - the resolution was really impressive.

Iain

Guest Gargoil

I'm lucky, never had a serious accident. No broken bones, no large scars but I did come close once.

Working on a motorway gantry fixing an access door using a 110V angry grinder, one handed at full stretch, while up a ladder. What could possibly go wrong?

Apart from the devils tool slipping out of my hand travelling down the front of my body and getting caught up in my trousers just where that big old artery runs down your leg.

Oh how we laughed.

:bad:

Guest 2b cruising

Worse accident I've ever seen was with the dreaded chain saw. I was in the army at the time. The year of the mild wind as the weather man said. Over night in the depot camp several large trees were left grounded and oh what a mess.

Anyway some clever di*k decided to hand out many chain saws, but no safety equipment. Worse still, no checks on people's skill set. One poor sole attacked a tree without knowing what he was doing. He was holding the saw by the handle and the safety brake. (We were told).

The saw kicked back at him fearcely, and rotated through 180' and went through his flesh from shoulder to groin.

He was still alive when he left in the ambulance, but I don't know of the final outcome. I am sure he survived as we would have been told if different, but I don't know the full extent of the damage to his whole body.

Moral of the story is." Even if chicks like scars, this kind you definitely don't want."

Take care out there. Especially with your own projects over the festive season.

Guest peter2b2002

No where the same but fishing yesterday had a bite grabbed the rod struck but forgot to lock the real, my index firger was pressing the line against the rod nice 1/2" cut peter2b

Jen has a lovely scar on one finger... Whilst making Christmas cake one year . The hand blender became clogged ......... Yes you guessed .... She used her finger top unblock..... We still don't know who got her nail instead of a candid peel . Lol

She will always be blonde ... So just goes to show... Treat the tools with contempt and they will bite you ...

Love micks comments .... Don't put your fingers .........

Keep safe.

Mitch

Late one Friday afternoon when I was still on the tools, the wrong handle was sent for a PVC door I was fitting, no hole for the lock cylinder to go through. No probs got the 4" angle grinder out to cut a temporary hole. Grinder snatched started running up my jumper at belly button height stopped just under my chin when jumper material clogged it up and jammed the motor! Not a mark on me!!! Stay safe and have a good Christmas everyone

I now use a T shaped metal straight edge to lay along a sheet of balsa

when I trim a straight line with a scalpel.

I used to use a metal ruler,but one day left the end of my finger sticking over the edge

& sliced the end off it.

I wasted a whole sheet of wood....the glue wouldnt stick to the red bits.

Then there was the LeMans trip where I cut off a rivet from my newly acquired scissor jack the evening before we left.

The angle grinder kicked, & cut a groove across my wrist, just missing the vein/artery, but still making a hell of a mess.

I didnt dare tell the Boss..she wouldnt have let me go!, so I had to hide away all that evening.

Same LeMans trip, 2nd day there, I tripped up carrying shopping out of the boot, staggered backwards, put my calf against the stainless, baffled silencer

which had no wadding to insulate the stainless from the hot exhaust.

I ended up trying to explain (unsuccessfully) what I had done to the nice first aid lady.

She nearly passed out when I showed her the burn.

The scar is still there 11 years on.