Engine/clutch Noise

Guest Kamran

Hi, i have a pinto connected to a type 9, when i push the clutch pedal down it makes a nasty metal on metal scratching sound, the sound totally goes when you release the clutch. I've now removed gearbox/engine thinking its the release bearing which isn't lookin to bad. Any ideas thanks

Guest Ian & Carole

Is this the 1st time you have had the engine / gearbox out or have you done other work recently?

Has the noise started out of the blue ? for no apparent reason.

Guest 2b cruising

Have you put weight on the bearing and spun it then. Have you taken the cluth from the flywheel and checked both parts for wear marks. Is you crankshaft,end float excessive. Are all the springs', levers in the clutch cover and do they line up. Are there any wear marks inside the bell housing especially where the bearing might be in contact with the gearbox front when the pedal is depressed.

If your engine or gearbox is out, all these checks can be easily carried out in a few minutes. It is something that is still spinning, grating against something that stays static when the clutch is,operated. Even check behind the flywheel as this is under linnier pressure when the clutch is pressed. That is why I mentioned end float.

All the best of good luck. Ken.

Hi thanks for your replies, just found that the flywheel bolts are all loose, work done by previous chap. The clutch is totally smooth so will replace the lot. The main reason i took engine/gearbox was i thought i was getting bottom enb noise but i think it was this. I got carried away and split the head checked con rod bearing/ shells and now need them, special order from ford ahh!! But thanks for your help

Guest Ian & Carole

For what it's worth if the flywheel bolts have been loose and the flywheel has been rattling that much then I would replace those also while the engine is out, replace with new and use some thread lock.

Guest chrispine

ARP ones for Pinto are only about £20, While I had mine in bits I also fitted ARP conrod bolts, just a thought if you feel you haven't spent enough yet.

Edited by crazy chris3rd

Guest 2b cruising

Well done on on tracing fault. I agree with Ian and crazy. Use new bolts. Lock tight and torque wrench. If you want piece of mind, these things are a must. Happy Christmas Kamran. Keep smiling. You have found your fault. It could have been a lot worse with a flywheel smashing through the gearbox and maybe damaging something or someone else.

Ken.