Advice On Mig Welding Kits

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Fancy getting into welding and looking for any advice or links on mig welding kits.

So far looking at a 150amp gas/gas less system, but trying to find Any sources of complete packages, helmet welder etc....

So far just looked at machine mart, around the £250 sort of price....

Looking for links and advice pro-cons etc...

Got a few bits I am going to need to do on my hood as part of the engine change and looks like a good time to try a new skill.......

Ta lovers

Dave

Spend the initial pennies on the welder.

Get a cheap mask and upgrade as you go.

In my opinion avoid gasless like the plaque!

Once you start welding, practice, practice and practice. Cleanliness is the No 1 golden rule, rust and paint won't weld.

Hi,

I second the above advice keep away from gasless n try to get best set you can afford not a basic cheap DIY Kit, If you can get a second hand kit with a BINZEL type torch & 0.8mm or 1.0mm fittings you will find consumables easy to purchase. Do not go overboard with your wire reel as It lasts a long time n goes rusty if left unused. Try to get old of 1/2size gas bottle ARGOSHIELD (Argon/CO2 mix not as cold as CO2) is best. Carbon Dioxide CO2 can also be used for welding or pure ARGON for stainless or MIG Brazing.

Also invest in a speedscreen Auto Darkening mask so you can see easier they are relatively cheap on Flea bay

Hope this helps

Harry

Edited by Pintogogo

Guest peter2b2002

I don't know why folk say don't go for gas less, I've been using gas less for years but only use my welder in doors(shed)if you weld out side gas can get blown away if too breezy, out side I use my other welder (stick welder)

Peter2b

i'm looking at buying this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Welder-Combination-Smooth-Accessory-Wheels/dp/B00CLPLMQI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420321192&sr=8-4&keywords=mig+welder

which gets reasonable reviews and can use gas or gasless. might not be the best kit in the world but then i don't weld regularly enough to spend loads.

With MIG welding it is easy to get a good looking weld but has no penetration and is as safe as a chocolate fireguard.

I ended up taking a course on stick, mig and tig and gas welding. It's not as easy as it looks - especially tig on aluminium :)

Simon.

• Like 1

i'm looking at buying this one http://www.amazon.co...ords=mig welder

which gets reasonable reviews and can use gas or gasless. might not be the best kit in the world but then i don't weld regularly enough to spend loads.

The big omission in the product description -- no duty cycle mentioned. Plus it's only equipped for gasless welds --- which will lead to flux entrainment in the weld IMO

My advice when it comes to MIG welders is to buy the best you can afford and for what your going to use it for, hobby MIG's are fine for the

odd job that you need to do but if your going to use them like I do then you will need something more up to the job.

At the moment I'm running a SIP 181 DP along with 20% CO2/Argon mix from Adams gas rent free unlike BOC

http://www.adamsgas....t&view=category

When it comes to welding masks, some of the ones you get in the kits with the welders are a waste of space and not worth risking your eye sight with!! A good non auto mask can be got from around £10 -£15 and always use a clean plastic anti-splatter lens in front of the tinted lens as they can brake in your face if you don't.

As for auto masks I think I've seen them for sale for as little as £36 in Toolstation.

My advice would be find someone who can weld and has the kit and get them to teach you before you spend out. I.ve been using a cheap sip 130 at home with co2 for years, i thought it ok until i started using a decent welder at work. Same with masks i.m on my 2nd auto 1st one 30quid off internet lasted no time and was sh@t 2nd one 60 quid from machine mart is ok but again at work my boss bought me a proper one which is in a differant league again. The more you pay the better the kit ! Hobby stuff is just that and up to much

Edited by DanE
  • Like 2

Guest david_l_perry

Cheers for all the links / comments. It's very much for small hobby bits of welding, the odd bracket, bits of small fabrication jobs on the hood.

My dad has been a long time stick welder, my brother uses one of the gas less mig welders, but primarily as all of his welding is outside and again, pretty much hobby welding on cars, although he has got pretty adept at it and has done all the bits I have needed so far.

Its a little catch 22 things like this. I know initially I can't imagine doing anything more than small little fabrication jobs, so spending lots on something bigger than I need would not make a lot of sense.

My brothers mig welder is a £250ish mig 150amp, but he spent a fair bit on a good mask, going along with comments above as well.

Will keep researching / reading and any more links or comments greatly received

Dave

Guest Ian Maycock

I would recommend always using gas when welding you will get a far better weld especially if you are just learning. Another tip, as I found to my cost is always wear appropriate footwear when welding, never Crocs. The spatter will always find those holes.

Guest alfaGTA

I've not much to add to the info already, migweld as posted by Ian is a wealth of info. 2nd hand welders are strong money so even if you buy a "hobby" welder you won't have any problem shifting it on to upgrade.... Read up on all the features on the welder and compare the cheap ones to a mid range, will cost you more initially but that will soon be forgotten after struggling with a poor quality welder.... Lots of welders and equipment on eBay, find your local stockist and poll up for a chat and see what's what maybe?

Guest zerorace

Have a look here as well when you have made your choices they have good deals on sometimes and great to deal with.

Forgot the lino sorry

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/clearance?utm_source=Lawson+HIS+Special+Offers&utm_campaign=76b05e2ae6-www.lawson-his.co.uk%2Fdeal-426-new-year-deals&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a54d35cdff-76b05e2ae6-326423669&mc_cid=76b05e2ae6&mc_eid=7f6f70c86a

Edited by zerorace