Advice On Mig Welding Kits

Guest david_l_perry

The big omission in the product description -- no duty cycle mentioned. Plus it's only equipped for gasless welds --- which will lead to flux entrainment in the weld IMO

Duty cycle as you say not specified but it is mentioned here http://www.mig-weldi...g-welder.18283/ 'They say it has a duty cycle of 2 minutes in 10 at maximum power and 100% at minimum.' Guess it depends how much and what you are welding. I've never done enough in one go to outpace my welder, but i guess if you were doing an entire chassis or something it might be a problem.

As for gasless it is in the product desc that it is switchable 'This smooth DC output welder offers both gas and no gas MIG welding, and is easily interchangeable between the two. With simple polarity changing (requiring no tools),'

hth

Edited by agent_zed

I up-rated my welder from 150amp DIY set to a 185 commercial set because of the waiting time needed --- duty cycles quoted were optimistic if the thermal over-load had tripped due to "heavy" welding.

The spec of the intended purchase will need the addition of gas regulator,gas bottle, plain welding wire (0.6 or 0.8mm) & welding tips for the torch.

yep the one i am looking at is definitely cheap (and hopefully cheerful). For me it's not a prob as i've already got a reg, bottle and spare tips and wire etc. But would be an extra £30-£40 if i didn't, so useful to point that out for others without previous kit.

does your commercial one need 3 phase? or can you pull 185amps from normal plug?

yep the one i am looking at is definitely cheap (and hopefully cheerful). For me it's not a prob as i've already got a reg, bottle and spare tips and wire etc. But would be an extra £30-£40 if i didn't, so useful to point that out for others without previous kit.

does your commercial one need 3 phase? or can you pull 185amps from normal plug?

Runs from single phase 13mp socket with occasional fuse failure ( it gets warm & tired) Welder is not used on highest setting; but this kit gives 100% duty cycle at all 5 lower positions.

Do ensure that a top quality plug is fitted & that it's checked for heat build-up; hot plug pins will burn out the socket very quickly.

I run a Clarke 150 amp Turbo that I bought from MachineMart maybe 12 years ago. I use it at the heavy end of hobby use and I've not managed to kill it yet. I've replaced tips and shrouds but that's it. I've converted it to a proper size bottle and for 99% of my use I use CO2 from Chorley Bottled Gas - should be local enough for you. The bottle cost me £40 first time and when I empty it I take it back and pay £20 to swap it for a full one and I'll supposedly get £20 back when I'm done with it - given how long I've had it I wouldn't complain if I didn't and I've long ago lost the original receipt. I used a compressed air quick release fitting in the gas pipe and have the same on my TIG and Albee Argon bottle so I can easily switch bottles between welders.

I use a cheap auto mask and have never had a problem with it. My old one had non-replaceable batteries and so when they went dud it was time to throw it away but then for the price I'll live with replacing it every few years. From memory my current one is the same.

Give me a shout if you want to come and have a play with my setup.

Iain

I did lots of research. The Clarke mig 151 te I thinks was about the best. Brilliant but of kit. Forget the 140 gas and gas less versions. Son had it waste of time. Machine mart regularly do vat free daysweeks and would save you 20 %. If not urgent.

Guest david_l_perry

Greatly appreciated comments and advice

Just ordered myself the Clarke 151TE Turbo mig welder as this is the one that keeps getting consistently good comments.

A pal of mine happened to have a vat free voucher valid for this week so saved myself a few quid as well...smart

Iain, thanks for the offer pal, very much appreciated and I may well take you up on that.

Picking up a load of spare bits of metal from a fabricator pal for practice practice and more practice.....and then set fire to the house

If you use a (GOOD QUALITY) extension lead, then you MUST unroll it COMPLETELY.

If you do not do this, you have a large electromagnetic coil and it cannot dissipate the heat build up and WILL short out and possibly

catch fire if the trips don't catch that fact.

A rolled up extension lead gets surprisingly hot quite quickly. You will see that the limit when coiled up is much less

than the full rated current (and a welder WILL take the full 13 amps)

Simon.

• Like 1

Guest david_l_perry

Cheers Simon

Fortunately I understand the issues with cables and rolled up extensions from previous life experiences......but its always good to have things highlighted again

Dave

And grand-ma's egg number 2 --- standard extension reels will not deliver 13A over much distance -- so weld current will suffer -- I use a 4mm 3 core extension for max power away from the socket.

Why 4mm ?? because it delivers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Joe_burtenshaw

i'm looking at buying this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Welder-Combination-Smooth-Accessory-Wheels/dp/B00CLPLMQI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420321192&sr=8-4&keywords=mig+welder

which gets reasonable reviews and can use gas or gasless. might not be the best kit in the world but then i don't weld regularly enough to spend loads.

I brought a similar welder to this but it is gas and gasless. It works perfectly fine but as others say it burns through the gas bottles quick! The other thing is that sometimes the gas pipe inside the Handel comes off and you loose a load of gas until you notice. It's a quick fix but just a bit annoying. Also if you buy this order a auto darling helmet, I bright one off amazon for £25 and works fine. I'm welding all sorts and it seems to weld really well.