Advice On Mig Welding Kits

Guest david_l_perry

Disposable bottles used to last me quite a while and I've mentioned that when fitting the bigger reg to my welder I made sure I could revert to the disposables easily as I still usually keep one about for when I run out of gas on a Sunday afternoon - it's also far more portable than the pub bottle if the welder is going to the job rather than vice-versa.

Disconnecting them when not in use is critical as the valves in the welder are simply not good enough to hold the pressure over any length of time. Ditto on a full size bottle turn it off at it's own valve when not in use or even it's contents will leak off whilst you are not welding.

Iain

Guest 2b cruising

Good to know about disconnecting. Now I am paying for it, it is crucial to save money. Far different than just using the company kit. Wheel it out and start welding. Amazed at how many people couldn't be bothered to turn off at the bottles, or take the key with them. Even when it was chained to the welding set.

i've always used the disposible bottles. Welded up entire stainless manifold and exhaust on less than 1 argon bottle ~£15.

As above though over the years have lost 1 or 2 by forgetting to turn off the reg :(

interested in how well the cheap mig works. From what i've read thin stuff is also a challenge with the cheaper welders as you can't get the amps down. seem to start at 40amps on the cheaper ones.

I tend to pulse my welding on thin stuff, probably a bad technique(?) but works for me. Stops the workpiece getting too hot and burning through. Managed to weld 0.5mm stainless bowls to my exhaust tube using 0.8mm stainless wire and argon on my old einhell 145 (which is now broke :( hence the need for a new one)

Guest 2b cruising

Hello zed! The welder I just bought is rated at mig 30-250amp. Mama welding 20-200amp. My gas and other bit are supposed to be here tomorrow. I might start a new blog on how it performs, coatings and such. It sertainly looks the part but I am aware the proof of the pudding is in the eating. In this case heating.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest david_l_perry

Just to update this thread. I bought the Clarke 151T gas mig welded and am having great results, after not a lot of time and effort.

Really pleased with the purchase and please with the results so far.

I have it easy so far as its all new metal and relatively thick stuff, so not making things hard for myself.

19_zpssaoejaz6.jpg