Cvh 1800 Alternator

Guest leedsian

Guest leedsian

Hi there, I am pretty new to this forum and I will apologise in advance if this question has been asked a thousand times before but...

I have got a donor 1800 CVH engine to fit in my robin hood b2 and it came with a standard Lucas alternator. As I hope you have experienced before it has not got a hope in hell of fitting in there!

I have read that a Bedford Rascal 40amp alternator is best and fits onto the existing mounting bracket. Before I shell out for one is their anything I need to know, such as model type etc... I am also led to believe I need a 5 groove crank pulley. Is this correct?

Many thanks in advance for any help here. I'm keen to get this motor going and would appreciate any help I can get.

Ian from Leeds

Hi Ian,

I have a cvh 1800 in my 2b, however the engine must be moved back an inch on the mounts and I had to ditch the mechanical fuel pump.

Also you will not be able to fit the brake servo, because the inlet manifold will be in the way. I have a cross bar that drives the servo on the passenger side. Other than that the engine and altenator etc are all standard.

Nige

Guest 2b cruising

You can fit a remote servo anywhere As they are hydraulically operated. They are around £100. So this can solve any servo assist problems without manufacturing, what can be completed transfer bars from o/s to n/s mounting.

As far as the alternator, I don't know one that fits straght on, but if it helps, alternators can run either clockwise or anti-clockwise so you can mount on either side of the engine or even turn it completely around and fit it backwards on the engine with your belt taking the same pulley route.

Belt type is determined by what other pulley's you have on the engine.

HTH. Ken.

Guest leedsian

Thanks ken for your input I'm new to kitcar building after 15 years of karting it was the next logical step just as the midlife crisis hit the engine won't go any further back than about 5mm I've spoken to a local alternator battery business and they seem to understand my issue and have told me to bring down alternator and bracket and they will check all measurements on there system so hopefully I'll have a solution thanks for taking the time to respond

Hi electo start on ebay and pinned in electronic .

Are recomended and very knowledgeable supplied me a small dense (Raskel type)

With a multi v pully.

Ps bob florin metal works has a C V H

Stephen

Edited by stevedohc2b

I would think that there is the correct mounting point on it ford generally do that

Was mounted on passenger side under exhaust on donor.

Can't post any sensible pictures now as induction hoses/water hoses & steering column mask view.