Q Plate Mot

gncgray

Guest Ian & Carole

I got 3 years when I registered ours however for the sake of £25.00 I had it tested "just in case " something had come loose or ??????????????????

Guest 2b cruising

Same same. I would have it tested just in case I had missed something on my own inspection. I would not worry about the cost for peace of mind. Also inquisitive bobbies asking embarrassing questions.

When registered it was up to the local DVLA office to decide.

Almost all cars registered after IVA have 3 years to first MOT

Only a few and I mean a few were wrongly required to get an MOT after the first year.

There has been long debate on trying for an MOT before IVA, you should not.

This is similar, if you don't require an MOT don't do it.

You could get the garage to do a pre MOT for peace of mind, I don't have an issue with that it's when you muck about with the automated MOT recording that you could have an issue

Guest Ian & Carole

After 1st year after IVA had to MOT my 2b so i could retax it. You can check on taxation site it wil tell you if a MOT is required.

See my post # 7 with the link to DVLA web site.

Edited by Ian & Carole

Guest 2b cruising

My wife's van was due mot on Jan 6. Becaus this was slap bang in the middle of a very busy period, we had it done in early Nov and asked for that to be next years due date. This was done by mot station for us and was automatically recorded as such by the DVLA.

Same as if you have been sorn for more than 12 months and re mot it whenever you put it back on the road.

If however you are doing a commercial vehicle or trailer, the rules are very different. Tractor unit goes yearly from date of first registration and all dates follow to suit. Trailers however go from date of manufacture. Cars can be done anytime but you loose out only on time by doing it early. If only one month early, that mot lasts for 13 months. If more than that it runs for 12 months from date of test.