Tax Man Has A New Weeeze

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

2 years ago i was made redundent i tried to get job seekers allowance ,long story , but didn't get anything, yesterday i recieved 2 letters from HMRC claiming i had 2 employers at the same time both applying a PAYE code giving me the full tax free allances giving me more allowances than were due during 2011/2012 and 2013/2014 , long shot they want £890 by feb 2nd , also after last years tax return they told me i had nothing to pay, (still got thier letter), but in the 2nd letter they want another £69 for that year, i called HMRC to try and find out what had happened, 1 they said the £69 was wrong and wiped it off ,2 they said i had to get a letter from job seekers stating i had not had any benifits and send it to them for a re calculation but would have to pay what they claimed i owed buy due date i wont go into the problems with jobswoths at the job seekers office ,

nice way for the tax man to get a free loan, just make up some thing and get some poor sod to pay

rant over

peter2b

I got shafted by the tax man about 8 years ago after several 3 hour interrogations they had absolutely no proof that I had defrauded the revenue mainly because I hadn't instead of saying sorry for the inconvenience and stress we have caused you and your family they said we don't believe a word I had said and I owed them £7500 and I had three months to pay it hows that for a kick in the teeth

Ditto to Chris above, tax-man said you owe, couldn't prove I hadn't earned the claimed amount ( because I hadn't earnt it) so to the claimed under paid amount was added a fine for under-payment & because I had disputed the figures for 2 years ( & 3 investigations ) interest was charged on top of both = £5500 Accountant said pay up before the hole gets any deeper.

I don't know why we have a tax office..Stupid sods get mine wrong every year.

Lucky for me, the payroll at my company and my wife being a fully qualified accountant always pick up on it and correct them.

There quick enough to demand money, but a pain to try and get it back when owed!

Typically, at the end of the day its the immigrants and mostly lazy thieving scum-bags that benefit from our loss.

:80: Hopefully, as your unemployed and can prove it, then if U need to pay it back, then U need to speak to citizens advice and they will run an assessment to see if it is feasible for you to pay it back in small amounts to keep yourself (family) out of debt.

Guest 2b cruising

Make there own rules up as they go along.

Two years ago I was not scrounging but was a genuine case for DLA. a whole £63 per week. No rent allowance or any other benifit of any other kind. I was getting my military pension at the same time though.

For two years running, my benefits area tax man stopped me tax on the £63 per week, while the pension office stopped my tax not only on my pension, but also on my DLA.

I only found out because I got a notice of under payment from one tax office of £800+ from one taxman. Then a refund of £600 from the pension tax man.

Both of these earning were constants in amounts and payment times. Both were government funded, but the left hand never knew what the right hand was doing.

It was just as though they were both competing for commission on how much they could screw out of people.

I never could find out the reason for the difference in the refund and under payment amounts.

Thank god I am now on OAP and no more bu**er ups. Not so far anyway.

I had to part with just under £1800 to them yesterday. Similar amount that I have supposedly under paid for the last 2 or 3 years. It's getting tiresome, my pay hasn't changed much and I tell them every year to correct my tax code and they can't get it right.

Just after I did my tax return in December, which said I owed them the said £1800, I got a new tax code letter 3 days later....giving me more take home money!!

Damned crazy

Ive had trouble too in the past which took 2 years to sort out.

its the same as any government department. They set up an office, ask how many people it takes to run it, and then half it (at the least).

There is a lot more cut backs in the next 2 years, it will make the previous ones look lenient.

Oh joy! exciting times ahead.

Andi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peter2b2002

Last week job site said they would send me a letter confirming that I did not get anything payments from them should have got their letter last Thurs/Fri, nothing , swmbo called them today ,my file had been sent off for store, I will be 2weeks before they could look into my case but I would have to send them a letter confirming I wanted the letter so i will have to pay what the tax man wants and claim it back,good job she called them

Peter2b

Guest Gargoil

Makes you wonder how many people really check to see what tax they should be paying. Leaving it up to the company pay office to sort it may not be the best idea. Bet there are loads of overpayments out there but you dont see the Sheriff of Nottingham in a rush to give it back.

Also, it shouldn't be up to the individual to go hunting for what they can claim, it should be automatic.

What am I saying, they would only tax us more to make up the difference.

:diablo: