Why Is A Q Plate So Bad?

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Again just a personal opinion, but if I went to view a car and the builder said that the engine had come from a mate/the gearbox had come from a breakers/the diff had come from an Ebayer from Wales and the driveshafts had come from someone in Essex on gumtree etc etc etc - I wouldn't be the slightest bit bothered that it had Q on the plate as long as it was all put together well and drove nicely. If he said it all came from a Sierra he bought whole and stripped, I would still be looking for the exact same things and wouldn't be the slightest bit impressed that it had an age related plate (certainly wouldn't pay more for it just because of that fact).

Everybody is different though which is fine and I totally respect everybody elses opinions and points of view - after all it would be a boring old world if we were all the same :) It's definitely Q all the way for me but hopefully good to hear everybody's opinions for the original poster of the thread?

Guest aidankinnell

My donor was scrapped (physically and with dvla) long before I registered the kit. All I did was send off a copy of the v5, confirmation it was scrapped with photos showing key parts from the donor now in the kit and a covering letter referencing the identical engine number. No problems at all and now driving in an age related kit.

again opinion but i would guess that Q plates command a lower price as although veteran builders understand Q plates anyone new to the scene (perhaps more likely to buy second hand rather than build?) would only know a Q plate from main stream cars which in the old days would be a burnt out cosworth that's been rebuilt.

As above things to check -

1. Do you care if it's a Q

2. Does insurance care it's a Q

3. Are you ever likely to want to personalise your plate

4. if you buy it cheaper on a Q don't be upset it will sell less on a Q

I've got an age related plate which a couple of people have assumed to be a 54 plate as it's a H154 :) so i'm happy with it. If i wanted i would move the letters/numbers to make it look like it said something (even though it would be nonsense) and have a 'personalized' plate without the cost :)

Regarding the question of "scrapping" a car that you no longer physically have or can't get a destruction certificate for. Send a letter to DVLA telling them that you sold the car 6 weeks ago and sent the documents off with the new keepers address but you haven't had a confirmation letter telling you that you are no longer the registered keeper.

They might ask you for the new keepers details but just tell them you don't have them - they were on the document you posted 6 weeks ago. As far as they are concerned someone called "Fred" (or other name of your choice) from "Inverness" (or other area of your choosing) turned up gave you cash and took the car away. He filled in his name on the docs and you posted them off the following day. By all means embelish it with a sum of cash and a half remembered street name - it wasn't advertised on ebay though as they might want to see an advert or the winners ID.

Your name comes off their records as the registered keeper and it stays on their database as keeper unknown. In short it's no longer your problem.

It'll be flagged so that if a policeman sees it he is supposed to pull it over and verify the keepers details but we all know that's not going to happen.

As for the DVLA - if they are going to come up with these damn silly rules and regulations that just don't work in the real world then I'm more than happy

to dump the mess back in their lap to clean up.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tom-zero

For what it's worth I agree with Richard if I was to do mine again I would go for q plate. Again for me it was the thought of having a brand new plate when I show all my mates that I've been telling I'm building a sports car in the garage for the last 3 years. In hindsight I could prob have saved 5k going for q plate and be taking them out in it and not still building the poxy thing. Also will more than likely be the only brand new car I ever own

I was very lucky at the time of dismantling my donor, as the council were doing an amnisty thing, where they would come and take away the car/chassis for free. This was back when people where just dumping cars by the roadside rather than scrap them.

However, for the next ten years I kept receiving the reminders to tax it and so I just SORNed it each time.

When it came to register the kit, (and some of you will know this), I wrote on the back of the V5 that I had scrapped it myself and the V5 and a load of other paperwork goes off to the DVLA.

I think all they are looking for is that the engine number for the kit matches the engine number on the V5 for the donor. Reason I say this is because you don't get the reg no: of the donor you get a new one ( i.e the Donor was H125--- and what I got was H222---).

Of course it will also depend on who you get at the DVLA as they were querying my build with regard to Q/age plate.

Nige

• 4 weeks later...

MOT after IVA should be 3 years regardless of reg awarded, however we are talking about DVLA here, in the past it was upto the local office, now it's central from Swansea.

Quote Florin

Age related ( for me ) infers that the car parts came mostly from one donor -- Q suggests it could be a " dogs dinner" of parts that may or may not be compatable. But that's me.

My age related car is now so much more of a dogs dinner of parts than when I built it