Crankshaft Front Pulley...ouch

Thought I better start work on the car Saturday, before the other half blows a casket.

So jacked the car up, removed the battery and bonnet to start work on the engine.

Drained and removed the radiator to find the crankshaft front pulley like this:

post-12997-0-46868900-1421675602_thumb.jpg

As I have to do some work on the radiator, timing belt etc...

Do you think I should change this broken part?

If yes, then any suggestions:

Should I be looking at a fancy alloy one.

or visit the local junk yard and pick up the same.

Also any hints or tips on changing it would be useful, considering this was not on the agenda.

Edited by Dino

You might need a puller (if you get one in) otherwise you`ll be prone to whacking and levering it off and i dont think

that`ll take much abuse. Then it would need a cutter/dremel to cut it off the shaft when there is just a little bit of jagged crank pulley left.

Ask me how I know.

Andi

Cheers guys.... Looks like the puller I bought last year will come in useful again. Fingers crossed it comes off in one piece.

Don't fancy drilling and butchering it Andi😜

Oh well, better to spot it now than later. Must have been a stone or something has shot up and hit it. Hmmmm I better check the radiator for any tell tale signs of flying metal.

i wouldnt want to run that.... looks like its been bust some time though

there may be on in my workshop

Cheers Dave, if u get chance and have a good one, then give me a shout.

Meantime, I will get the old one off and finish the changes to the timing belt etc...

A puller is the way to go to remove the pulley. Had a friend of mine try to remove the pulley off his engine to change the oil

seal with a couple of pry bars and ended up cracking the cast aluminium timing cover.

Then after the pulley was removed left me with the pig of a job getting the cam belt bottom sprocket off to change the cover lots of heat and a few choice words.

Top tip once you have the pulley off give the end of the crank shaft a light coat of copper grease, as it will help the next time you need to remove it to change the cam belt ;)

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

It looks to me as though your pulley has been broken for some considerable time. Possibly cracked but not right through, and then finally croaked it, with engine vibrations. It should be changed at earliest opportunity for safety's sake.

It is important that you use a puller on that type of pulley. If you can sorce a three legged puller with feet small enough to fit through the three holes, that will be safer than pulling on the outer edges of your pulley as this can easily lead to you breaking off the outermost part of the pully and leaving the hub stuck on the crankshaft. Undo the pulley bolt a good way and use this to put the jacking bolt on to save damage to the female threads in the crankshaft.

When replacing the pulley, if you Change the bottom bolt along with the pulley, make sure it is the same length as the original as some ford same type engines have different fitment. I found this out after rebuilding my sons engine using lots of new parts. It cost me a new top end.

HTH. Regards. Ken

When using a puller, if it is really seized on, don't try to over tighten the puller.

Just add a lot of tension and tap lightly around the pulley and the centre. This may be sufficient.

Or apply heat just to the pulley part while the puller is attached.

... Or give Grandma some eggs ... :)

Simon.