What Tyres Should I Get For Bmw 316

agent_zed

Hi,

need a complete set of 4 tyres for my daily drive bmw 316ti. I am planning on driving to france to go skiing at the end of feb and was wondering if there are any good all year round tyres that would be best to buy. I don't really want a winter set and a summer set.

I don't fully understand the EU ratings like the Wet grip rating. Does this mean it is likely to be better in snow/ice? or no correlation at all?

These are a good price and have both good grip in wet braking and good fuel efficiency

http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/tyres/toyo-proxes-cf2-205-55-r16-91v

I've got snow chains if i get stuck. We drove 2 years ago in my dads Grand picasso c4 with normal tyres and only had to chain up once to get 200yards before driving normally again. So do i just go with these and not worry about it

any thoughts appreciated

ah i see what you mean. Are there any 'all rounders'? that would be better?

these (still summer) look to have more sipes for example http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/tyres/kumho-kh31-ecsta-hm-205-55-r16-91v#tab1

I could go second hand on a winter set but not sure i trust a random set off ebay.

there is nothing that does everything you need. get s decent summer set. I run my last 2 bmws on hankook with no issues. decent rubber for decent price

then get a 2nd hand or lower brand of winter rubber imo. even on a smaller set of wheels.

Guest Ian & Carole

The thing with tyres is.......... they are all made to do one thing well, snow/winter will be compromised on a hot summer day, (queue Meat Loaf)

.The wear rate will be far more aggressive than the tyre designed for your car and the noise M&S tyres make will become tiresome,

no pun intended

I, like others believe, a cheap set of rims and winter tyres for 8 or 9 weeks and good quality OE ones for the rest of the year is the way to go.

If you could buy one tyre fits all then there wouldn't be such a choice ???

Edited by Ian & Carole

I had dunlop bluresponce A rated wet on the front of my 307, pulling away in the wet they still spin but on a wet rd they grip well and plough through standing water well, in the snow they are utter *bleep*e ! i put uniroyal winter tyres on yesterday night and wow they are amazing ! pulled off my drive in 3" snow this morning and drove to work in snow then heavy water on the rds, the grip is brilliant way better than the A rated normal tyre which are now on the back. Ive put winter tyres on the front every year sense 2012 and will continue to do so, they out perform any other tyre by miles in the colder conditions

Edited by DanE

If you really only want one pair then these look reasonable for your size and a named brand too and only £3 more than your Sava link.

http://www.mytyres.c...rn&typ=R-239403

oh yeah they look good. Noise is lower than a lot of the summer tyres i've seen so far.

i'm not a fast driver in any weather to be honest. I drive through the forest of dean everyday to work so a tyre more suited to dirt/snow/water/leaves etc is prob a better bet for me any way as i don't normally do motorways etc

read some of an interesting forum debate on winter tyres only on one axle. ranged from you will instantly flip and die to i've been doing it for 20 years :)

Guest erichetherington

Some parts of Europe require you to change to winter tyres but I don't know if France included or not, Might be worth checking before spending beer tokens.

Winter tyres on one axle is fine if you drive ok. Drive like a knob and you may will flip. What about the budget brigade ? In the wet most budgets behave like there on ice, ive had them on cars ive bought in the past and changed them even with loads of tread left, they should be illegal in my opinion