205/50/r15 Tyres On 8J Alloys Rubbing

Guest A.B

My 205/50/r15 tyres on 8j alloys were rubbing the wing walls before I bought it and I've just looked at the tyres and the ware is 1-2mm on the side walls. Before the car goes into an MOT or more importantly is it safe to drive. There's decent clearance now, it looks like wider wings have been fitted to both the front and back.

Could a 195 be fitted to give a little extra room?

Any problems on the side walls are an MOT no-no.

You cant get a side wall puncture repaired for that reason.

BTW 8J will be too wide for a 195 tyre...its probably too wide for 205 too

http://www.brick-yar...topic60146.html

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires_101/customizing/rim_wheel_width/

Edited by Bob Tucker

I can currently get my hand between the inner wing and tyre. I think wider wings have been put on. I can only just squeeze the car into door of the garage? I thought getting rid would be the case. How safe would the tyres be with the couple of mm gone... Could I save them for a track day or just throw them?

Guest 2b cruising

I run 205s on 6.5 j. Absolutely no rubbing problems. They were on the car when I got it and it sticks to the road like tish to a blanket in the dry. Not yet been out in the wet yet but could be fun. Good wet tread on them though so maybe ok. They also bulge or balloon just a little so this saves the rims on kirby.

I think RH used 6.5j in there kits with 195x50x15 tyres on the arays rims. This as far as I know was only on the 2b.

How safe would the tyres be with the couple of mm gone... Could I save them for a track day or just throw them?

Depends on how good your medical/ Life insurance is..... :crazy: :crazy:

I wouldn't risk it. I appreciate life too much :db:

Track days put even more strain on tyres than normal use....

• Like 1

Guest Tim Norman

I have 225/50/15 on 7J on the rear of mine and they are fine in the dry but too wide in the wet. They just don't get warm! So when funds allow I will be dropping to a 205.

A friend has run 195's on 8j rims for a few years on his mx5 turbo on multiple track days another younger lad is running 185's. The 195's only seem a little stretched. Like stated above I've seen VW's running 165's but it looks like rubber bands on rims rather than tyres!

Obviously these cars are a little different hence why i was asking your advice.

Guest 2b cruising

If your et (offset) is to high this will widen your car considerably. On 8 j your et would only need to be 15. Any more than that will give you width problems. So may not just be tyres you need.

do you have a pic? when you say sidewalls do you mean right in the middle of the side wall or nearer the rim. some tyres have rim protectors and a couple of mm's off that could be fine as they are designed to get beaten about a bit on curbs but center/top of sidewall should be replaced for sure.

1zx1a3r.jpg

That's the only picture I have on my phone. I'll take a clearer picture now. All the writing is fine, it's at the top edge on the tyre where the wall meets the tread above the moulded line

Guest mower man

They are the wrong size, both wheels and tyres , the wheels are to big [width] 6.5 are max ,the tyres are to small for the rims ,others may have run similar but that does not mean they are correct ,I ran 205's on 6.5's [12 years] and they are allmost to much you may as said above have an offset prob mick

Edited by mower man