Engine Knock

Guest tom-zero

Guest tom-zero

Hi guys.

I have a little corsa c 1.2 easytronic that I will be selling soon, but it has a bit of an engine knock/rattle which would put people off buying it. I've searched the Internet and it seems a very common problem and the engines will carry on with this rattle for years.

Is there any products/additives to stop engine knock that actually work or are they all a waste of money ? I have done an oil change inc flush and added wynns lifter fluid which stopped the knock from the lifters on start up because its thin and gets to them straight away (apparently) but the other knock stays even when up to temperature I have contemplated another oil change using some 20w50 oil but fear this may cause damage to the engine and bring back the lifter noise on start up

Any help much appreciated.

Guest tom-zero

Wouldn't want to do anyone over like that lol. If I thought there was a real fault with engine I would fix b4 selling its just harmless rattle that all the x12xe engines have and will last for years like it. (I've spent the last few weeks looking into these cars as much as I can). But if it was me buying the car the noise would be enough to make me walk away. I've looked at Lucas oil stabiliser and wynns super charge additive does anyone have first hand experience with these ? I can get the wynns much easier from work. Do you think using a 20w50 oil would cause damage ? Thanks for your time Nigel

Hi Tom,

That will be the timing chain rattling. It was a problem with those cars, they didn't tension enough. It will go for years like this.

However, my daughters car got quite noisey so I replaced the timing chain. Its a git of a job, the whole of the left side of the engine has to come off as this is the water pump and oil pump and timing chain cover.

Where it went wrong for me, was I replaced the crankshaft oil seal as part of the job, but it was claerly a faulty part, as it poped out the next day dumping all the oil out, wrecking the oil pump, then the hydrolic lifters and finally smashing/cracking a piston. Car was then scrapped.

Moral of the story here is leave it alone and get shot of it quick..

Hi Tom,

Just re-read your post.

If you think it is the lifters then it maybe too late. The Corsa can just about get the oil pressure up at idle and not long after that it can't even manage that, which causes wear in the hydraulic lifters. you may find the lifters are already damaged. To be honest, you could spend a lot of money on this trying to fix it. More than the car is worth.

Guest tom-zero

I'm not trying to sell it dishonestly ! If I thought it would go wrong I would drop another engine in it but chances are a second hand engine will sound exactly the same. It's common knowledge In the trade these engines make a slight rattling sound from the top end but people unaware of this would be put off by the sound so just thought someone could help with additive advice.

I put a wynns super charge in it today on the off chance it would help as it only cost. £4 and would you belive it the noise has completely gone. I will use this product again I always thought they where a waste of money i guess there not