Early 2B Chassis What Is It Made Of?

Guest Stevejones748

is it rusty?

stainless will still be shiny if it is mild steel there will be rust somewhere

if not scratch a bit of paint off somewhere inconspicuous and put a bit of water on and leave it overnight. you'll see rust if it is mild

Guest Ian & Carole

Mine is a mild steel one, you had the choice at point of order.

I knew I wanted to change certain bits and bobs on the chassis, like adding seat belt mounts and certain, in my opinion, flaws in the chassis construction, so opted for m/steel.

Edited by Ian & Carole

My car is also an early sliding pillar model (since converted to wishbones, twice).

i've tried a magnet on my stainless body/chassis, and different bits are magnetic and non-magnetic. I suspect the body is mainly 304 as it is totally non magnetic, but shows a little corrosion here and there (probably due to road salt and the fact that mine never gets washed).

The roll over bar is probably 304 as it's totally non magnetic. The rest of the chassis is probably something like 301, with a slightly lower nickel content, as it gets slightly magnetic where it has been bent (301 would also be the cheapest 300 series stainless). However, every car is probably different, depending on where tricky dicky got his tubes from that day!

Edited by Grim

Guest Stevejones748

I've checked out the whole boby and is most defiantly mild steel. Surface corrosion around scratched paintwork and inside exposed tubing ends and a magnet sticks all over. Thanks for all your help guys.