Poor Starting When Cold

churchy

Hi, just rebuild my engine, 2 litre pinto with 32/36 carb with a cable choke which is new and running off mechanical pump from engine, timing is set correct and co on carb is set correct as well.

The problem I have is when car has been standing for more than a .day i

t does not start straight away and takes time to start and a few pumps of the accelerator, to me I think it may be lack of fuel but then when running the car performs perfect also once started for the rest of the day the car starts straight away.

.I'm running a two pipe fuel system with a return back to the tank, could you change to a single pipe, could it be mechanical pump not supply ing enough fuel and how to check or is it that the fuel is draining back to the tank and how do I stop this,

.any suggestions welcome or is this a common fault that I will have to live with

Guest Ian & Carole

Sounds like your carb is draining , thus needing lots of cranking to refill carb.

My Beauford has the same problem.

Easy cure is an electric pump and pressure regulator.

Guest Gargoil

+1 for electric fuel pump. Have the same carb but without any choke and on a manual pump was very difficult to start. Much better with an electric one. Needs a good battery though.

Edited by Gargoil

Guest Ian & Carole

Other option if you don't fancy fitting an electric pump is try fitting a fuel one way valve in fuel line between pump and carb

I tried that but no change, I, wrongly, assumed it was drain back it seems it is evaporation.

Even the plastic filter between pump and carb has fuel in it but it seems the carb bowl is empty.

Edited by Ian & Carole

.thank you fellow hoodys , I think I will just put up with it as its not a big problem that's what I love about being in the club, help is only a friendly chat away Thank you everybody and hopefully see you all in the summer at some of the shows

cheers andy.

Guest 2b cruising

.thank you fellow hoodys , I think I will just put up with it as its not a big problem that's what I love about being in the club, help is only a friendly chat away Thank you everybody and hopefully see you all in the summer at some of the shows

cheers andy.

Hi again Andy. Good thing about poor starting is that you build oil pressure up before any stress hose into the engine. Reall saves expensive engine rebuilds.

Hi Andy,

Could it be that the return line is causing a syphoning process. Once the engine/pump stops the return continues to drain he carb. Maybe a shut off valve in the return line might stop that, (off the top of my head).

Nige

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Andy,

Could it be that the return line is causing a syphoning process. Once the engine/pump stops the return continues to drain he carb. Maybe a shut off valve in the return line might stop that, (off the top of my head).

Nige

Reminds me of an old playground joke. What a cure for water on the brain. A tap on the head.

You might find fitting one of these helps. I have some thing similar on my 2b. I used this as my original carb only had an in and no return. Fuel would come from the pump into the bottom and out the bottom of the reservoir to the carb. The return would come out of the top. Now that I have a weber, I have the pump going directly to the carb, then the return from the carb goes into the bottom of this reservoir and the return to tank comes out of the top. It maybe a height thing between the in and out that breaks the cycle.

I'm sure some one can find a bottom joke in there somewhere :rofl:

Nige

post-2594-0-97838700-1424178517_thumb.jpg

I fitted a new 32/36 to my 1800 Pinto with manual choke and electric pump , previously using the standard mechanical pump the engine would start and run for three /four miles then start to hesitate and cut out, would restart then again cut out after a short distance. No probs with the electric pump, as mentioned earlier I turn it over first to get some oi pressure then pull out the choke and she starts first time and runs perfectly. Bought the pump from CBS there were two types one to fit close to the tank and another to fit in the engine bay area, I fitted mine in the engine bay no probs.